Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty in learning tensors

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Let r[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] be a tensor in coordinates x[itex]^{c}[/itex] and R[itex]_{b}[/itex] be a tensor in coordinates X[itex]^{c}[/itex].
    Then let r[itex]_{\mu}[/itex] = 0.

Then {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0.
    I read in a book that one can divide both sides of the last equation by the partial derivative to get R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0.
    I do not understand how this can be done since the partial derivative is summed over together with the R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex].
    Can somebody help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    The way I understand to do it is the following:

{[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

Multiplying both sides by {[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]} we get

{[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]} {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]x[itex]^{\mu}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

i.e. {[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]X[itex]^{\lambda}[/itex]}R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

[itex]\delta[/itex][itex]^{\nu}_{\lambda}[/itex]R[itex]_{\nu}[/itex] = 0

R[itex]_{\lambda}[/itex] = 0.

Is the above method too long?

Thanks for any help.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

It's a theorem in linear algebra. If A is non-singular, and Ab=0, then b=0. If dX/dx is singular, you have other problems.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    Thanks K^2.

Is the method I used ok?

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it is. Note that what you're doing on the line that starts with "i.e." is to use the chain rule.

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6
    Is the method above, using Kronecker's delta, considered a long method?

8. Aug 23, 2011 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing that only covers a few short lines is ever considered a long method. :smile:

The only way to do it shorter is to note that you started with a matrix equation in component form, and if you multiply it with the inverse...but that might require some explanation, and it would look a lot like what you just said.

9. Aug 23, 2011 #8
    Thanks a lot, Fredrik

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook