1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty with a basic motion problem

1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    This time I'm having trouble with this problem:

If the position of an object is given by x = 2.30t^5, where x is measured in meters and t in seconds, find (a) the average velocity and (b) the average acceleration between t = 1.0 s and t = 2.0 s. Then find (c) the instantaneous velocity v and (d) the instantaneous acceleration a at t = 1.0 s. Next find (e) v and (f) a at t = 2.0 s.

I have solved a, but am uncertain how to obtain the two velocities needed for b according to the formula for average velocity. What do I need to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

the velocity function is the time-derivitive of the location function.

the acceleration function is the time-derivitive of the velocity function.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3
    the average velocity forumula is [f(b)-f(a)]/b-a, the avg. acceleration formula is essentially the same except that for the values of f(b) and f(a) you need to take the derrivative of the position equation to give the velocity values

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4

lightgrav

Homework Helper

aud11888 means that average velocity = [tex] \frac{x(t_b) - x(t_a)} {t_b - t_a}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?