Diffraction Grating and Dispersion

In summary: But you need to put it in degrees per micrometer: d = 0.002094 mm, ##\ \theta = \pi/6 = 30^\circ##, and then I get 1.102 deg/μm, so you did fine. In summary, the problem involves a diffraction grating with a slit separation of 2094.0 nm and a desired dispersion of the 2nd order lines at an angle of 30 degrees (in degrees per micrometer). Using the equation D=m/(d)cosΘ, where D represents the dispersion, m represents the order of the line, d represents the slit separation, and Θ represents the angle, the desired dispersion is calculated to be
lauraliz94
1. The problem statement
A diffraction grating has a slit separation of 2094.0 nm. What is the dispersion of the 2nd order lines at an angle of 30 degrees (in degrees per micrometer)?

Homework Equations

dsinΘ=mλ
y=(mDλ)/d

3. Attempt at a solution
I began by finding λ using the first equation, so...
2λ=.002094(sin(.30))
λ=.00000548205
Note: I changed d from nm to mm before I began any calculations

We haven't gone over this in class yet, so I'm confused on where to go from here. I believe it has something to do with the second equation listed above, but I don't know what variable represents the dispersion or if these are really even the equations I need. I would like some guidance as for what steps to take next or what equations I should be using- I think just a push in the right direction could help immensely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello LL, welcome to PF :)

Check your calculations ! sin(.30) is not the sine of 30 degrees ! I don't see how you can end up with 5.5 nm wavelength (assuming you report it in mm -- why do you do that if they want an answer in degrees per micrometer ?).

And the angular dispersion is nothing else than ##d\theta\over d\lambda##.
So you're better off with the first eqn than with the second (that is -- if I am not mistaken -- a distance y off-axis on a screen at distance D).

Now, what is ##d\theta\over d\lambda## at ##\ \ \theta = \pi/6\ \ ## if ## \ d\sin\theta = 2\lambda\ ## ?

It's more math than physics...

Hi BvU!

Alright, I was able to work on the problem in class- I was missing a vital equation that made the whole process really easy.

The equation should be D=m/(d)cosΘ

So if...
D=dispersion
m=2
d=2.094 micrometers
Θ=30 degrees

Then the equation reads...
D=(2)/(2.094cos(30))
D=1.10 deg/micrometer

I'm sorry about the confusion, I really appreciated your help! You were right, it was just figuring out what math is the right math!

And here's me thinking you were supposed to derive this vital equation. You were nearly there!

The "math" (physicists have their own ideas about how to deal with differentials :) ) is real easy: $$
\ d\sin\theta = 2\lambda\quad\Rightarrow\ d \cos\theta \; d\theta = 2\; d\lambda\quad \Rightarrow\ {d\theta\over d\lambda} = {2\over d\cos\theta}$$

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a large number of parallel, equally spaced grooves or slits. It is used to separate light into its component wavelengths by causing constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by diffracting light as it passes through the narrow slits or grooves. Each slit acts as a point source and the light passing through each slit interferes with the light from other slits, producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes. The angle and spacing of the grating determines the wavelength of light that is diffracted.

3. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through the grating and is used to disperse light in a specific direction. On the other hand, a reflection diffraction grating reflects light back to the same side from which it came and is used to disperse light in multiple directions.

4. What is dispersion and how does a diffraction grating cause it?

Dispersion is the phenomenon in which different wavelengths of light are separated and spread out. A diffraction grating causes dispersion by diffracting light at different angles depending on its wavelength. This results in the separation of light into its component colors, creating a rainbow-like effect.

5. What are the applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, telecommunications, astronomy, and laser technology. They are used to analyze light sources, measure the wavelengths of light, and produce precise and accurate color displays.