1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating wavelengths

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
    light wavelengths of 520nm and 630nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000lines/cm. a) sketch a diagram of the image produced from m=0 to m=2. label the order of each fringe.b) calculate the angles for the first and second-order maxima that would appear on the screen. c) What is the lowest value of m for which the 520-nm line no longer exists?

For part b....what wavlength do i use to find the angles for the first and second oreder maxima???....:S

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2008 #2
    can anyone help me ...please..

4. Mar 14, 2008 #3
    Both.
    They have different angles in both the first and second maxima.
    c)
    (10^-2/6000)sintheta =n(520*10^-9)
    sintheta cannot exceed one
    so calculate the n your own

you should calculate and do homework yourself.
    I am to guide you, not to help u finish your homework

5. Mar 14, 2008 #4
    this is not my homework..It was my homework...but i got it wrong, unfortunately my teacher did not write the correct answer....as my exam is approching...i am preparing for it. I am doing this course through ilc, ilc tutors are not available right now because of the break, thats why i wanted to know the answer to this question.
    So for part b) i am supposed to find the first and sec order maxima for both wavelengths?......i see now that's why i got it wrong in first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?