Digi-Key and Alternatives

• Thread starter Harry E
  • Start date
In summary, there are multiple suppliers for small scale electrical components in North America, including Digi-Key, Allied Electronics, Mouser, Newark, JameCo, FutureLec, FindChips, Tedss, Radioshack (or The Source by Circuit City in Canada), and Circa Micro. Each of these suppliers may have a different selection and web interface, so it may be beneficial to check multiple sources to find the desired components.
Harry E
Is Digi-Key the premier supplier in North America for small scale electrical components or are there any others?

Engineering news on Phys.org
We use Digikey a lot but they are not the only one out there. I guess it does depend on what you are looking for. Allied Electronics is another good source.

In general, Digikey is the one I use, but there are others:
Mouser
Allied
Newark
JameCo
FutureLec

I just wish one of them could put together a decent web interface (if McMaster-Carr sold electronics, I would be happy)

Last edited:
Go to www.findchips.comand[/URL] search for a generic transistor or a common part like LM741. You'll see a big list.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also look at http://www.tedss.com" [Broken]. They have a decent interface for locating capacitors, resistors and pots.

Radioshack?

You can get some basic (if pricey) stuff there. I'm not sure what the state of Radioshack is down in the US, but here in Canada, The Source by Circuit City (what all the Canadian Radioshacks became after they were bought by Circuit City) has been steadily getting out of the components and low-level hobbyist market for the past few years.

EDIT: And even back way when, it was still basic components (assortment of passives, some actives, a few ICs, mounting hardware, etc.)

I have been using a company called Circa Micro.

They have a $50.00 order min which is high but I can't locate some of these older parts for under $100 an order

This is a pretty old thread, hopefully the OP found his supplier.

1. What is Digi-Key and why is it commonly used by scientists?

Digi-Key is an online electronics distributor that offers a wide range of electronic components and tools for scientific research and experimentation. It is commonly used by scientists because of its vast selection, quick delivery, and competitive prices.

2. Are there any alternatives to Digi-Key for purchasing electronic components?

Yes, there are several alternatives to Digi-Key, such as Mouser Electronics, Arrow Electronics, and Newark Electronics. These distributors offer similar products and services and may have different pricing or shipping options.

3. Can Digi-Key be used for international purchases?

Yes, Digi-Key does offer international shipping to many countries around the world. However, customs and import fees may apply, so it is important to research these potential costs before placing an order.

4. Does Digi-Key offer any additional resources for scientists?

Yes, Digi-Key has a variety of resources available for scientists, including technical articles, tutorials, and design tools. These can be helpful for finding solutions to common problems or for learning about new technologies.

5. Can I return or exchange products purchased from Digi-Key?

Yes, Digi-Key has a return and exchange policy for most products. However, certain items may have specific return requirements or may be non-returnable, so it is important to check the individual product page for details before purchasing.