Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digi-Key and Alternatives

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1
    Is Digi-Key the premier supplier in North America for small scale electrical components or are there any others?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

We use Digikey a lot but they are not the only one out there. I guess it does depend on what you are looking for. Allied Electronics is another good source.
  4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    In general, Digikey is the one I use, but there are others:

I just wish one of them could put together a decent web interface (if McMaster-Carr sold electronics, I would be happy)
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  5. Mar 1, 2008 #4
    Go to www.findchips.comand search for a generic transistor or a common part like LM741. You'll see a big list.
  6. Jan 13, 2009 #5
    You can also look at TEDSS.com. They have a decent interface for locating capacitors, resistors and pots.
  7. Jan 13, 2009 #6

Science Advisor

You can get some basic (if pricey) stuff there. I'm not sure what the state of Radioshack is down in the US, but here in Canada, The Source by Circuit City (what all the Canadian Radioshacks became after they were bought by Circuit City) has been steadily getting out of the components and low-level hobbyist market for the past few years.

EDIT: And even back way when, it was still basic components (assortment of passives, some actives, a few ICs, mounting hardware, etc.)
  8. Sep 6, 2010 #7
    I would also try Net Semi. They have a lot of hard to find parts and they have a
    RFQ page which is really helpful
  9. Nov 22, 2011 #8
    I have been using a company called Circa Micro.

They have a $50.00 order min which is high but I can't locate some of these older parts for under $100 an order
  10. Dec 1, 2011 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a pretty old thread, hopefully the OP found his supplier.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?