Identifying Mystery Part: 2x5 Alternating Pins

• Thread starter DailyDose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the part is a female pin header, with pins that are spaced at 0.100", and it is from a JTAGICE-mkII.
DailyDose
Hey, I took some photos of this part and they should be visible below or you'll need to click the attachments. But my question is as follows: I have no idea what to call this. I contacted Digi-Key and tried to describe it to them but to no avail. Notice, the pins are in 2x5 formation and they are alternating. They are not perpendicular/parallel (whichever way you like to describe it). Please help me identify this part or at least know what to call it. Thank you.

Attachments

• Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 353
  • End.JPG
    End.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 405
Engineering news on Phys.org
DailyDose said:
Hey, I took some photos of this part and they should be visible below or you'll need to click the attachments. But my question is as follows: I have no idea what to call this. I contacted Digi-Key and tried to describe it to them but to no avail. Notice, the pins are in 2x5 formation and they are alternating. They are not perpendicular/parallel (whichever way you like to describe it). Please help me identify this part or at least know what to call it. Thank you.

Where did you get it? Where is it from?

This is apart of a JTAGICE-mkII. Because of its structure, I assumed it would sold separately as well.

It's a surface mount female pin header (or receptacle). Find the pin pitch (the spacing, centre to centre, of the pits) and the spacing of the pins that connect to the PCB itself.

It's hard to tell, but common spacing (of the female receptacles) is 0.100", but I've seen metric and smaller/larger sizes also. 3M, Hirose, Samtef and others should have something pretty close. If all else fails, you can solder wires directly to the pads on the PCB, and run them to the appropriate connector on the other side (or just stripped wires if you're doing breadboard work)

Awesome, thank you for your help.

What is the purpose of identifying a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins?

The purpose of identifying a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins is to determine its function and compatibility with other components in a circuit or system. This information is crucial for troubleshooting and repairing electronic devices.

How can I identify a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins?

There are several ways to identify a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins. One method is to consult the manufacturer's datasheet or user manual, which typically includes a detailed diagram and description of the component. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter or other testing equipment to measure the electrical characteristics of the part and compare them to known values for similar components.

What types of electronic devices might use a part with 2x5 alternating pins?

A part with 2x5 alternating pins may be used in a variety of electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, smartphones, and home appliances. It could be a microchip, resistor, capacitor, or any other type of electronic component.

Do all parts with 2x5 alternating pins have the same function?

No, not all parts with 2x5 alternating pins have the same function. The pins may be arranged in different configurations and the component may have different electrical characteristics, resulting in a different function. It is important to properly identify the part to ensure its compatibility with the device or circuit it will be used in.

What should I do if I cannot identify a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins?

If you are unable to identify a mystery part with 2x5 alternating pins, you may need to seek assistance from a professional or do further research online. You can also consult with other experts in the field or look for similar components to compare and determine the function of the part.