1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dihydro Benzene is more polar than Dichloro benzene

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    Can someone explain why this is so or atleast nudge me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your thoughts (whether in favor or opposing)?

4. Aug 20, 2006 #3
    well i have just now started learning chemical bonding so I am not very sure about the answer but anyway..
    para-dichlorobenzene most probably doesnt have a dipole moment because of the oppositely positioned Chlorine atoms. Ortho and meta dichlorobenzene would definitely have a dipole moment(greater in the case of ortho). But I have no clue about dihydro-benzene. I dont even have any idea about its strucutre... Can you please help?:confused:

5. Aug 22, 2006 #4
    dihydrobenzene doesn't really contain benzene

NOTE: The post previously had 1,3 cyclohexadiene mislabeled as 1,2 cyclohexadiene. Mistake noted by Cesium.

dihydrobenzene comes in two forms. These are also known as:
    1) 1,3 cyclohexadiene
    and
    2) 1,4 cyclohexadiene
    (or if you wanted you could do the ortho,para naming)
    but the key difference between these compounds and dichlorobenzene is that these, while still a derivative of benzene, do not have 3 alternating double bonds and are not aromatic.
    If you are confused of the exact structure I found them at sigmaaldrich.com searching for dihydrobenzene.
    The dipole moment of the 1,3 cyclohexadiene form makes sense considering the molecule is no longer symetrical (as in the para-dichlorobenzene or the 1,4 cyclohexadiene). As for the dipole moment of the 1,4 cyclohexadiene I really have no idea, it shouldn't have much, if any dipole moment.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  6. Aug 22, 2006 #5
    What about 1,3-cyclohexadiene? It should have a dipole moment.

7. Aug 22, 2006 #6
  8. Aug 22, 2006 #7
    you are correct, It was my mistake, I mislabeled my first post. The 1,2 cyclohexadiene should read as 1,3 cyclohexadiene. When I was working the nomenclature out by hand (in attempt to answer your question) I had mistakenly used the numbers as the carbon positions where the hydrogen is attached, not the bond position. So YES, 1,3 cyclohexadiene has a dipole moment, I don't think 1,4 cyclohexadiene does. And I'll probably be corrected again, but I don't think 1,2 cyclohexadiene exists. Good call.

9. Aug 22, 2006 #8
    I agree with you. A quick search online (not the ultimate authority) does not show much for 1,2-cylcohexadiene. It seems as if it is only a reactive intermediate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?