Dilemma? - Am I cut out to pursue masters in physics

In summary, the individual is contemplating pursuing a Master's degree in physics but is unsure if they are cut out for it due to past experiences. They have dropped out of a Master's program before due to various reasons and are now considering a Master's from an open university. They are also wondering if it is necessary to complete a Master's and PhD by the age of 25. The conversation also touches on the value of a Master's degree from different universities and the individual's long-term goal of pursuing research and obtaining a PhD.
Sriki
Dilemma? -- Am I cut out to pursue masters in physics

I'm in my life at a juncture where i have eagerness and enthusiasm to pursue masters in physics but due to prior experience I'm a bit reluctant. I enrolled for masters in physics 2 years back but dropped out in the final year due to uncleared papers that i had of 1st year, lack of co-operation by the management, harassment by faculties and shortage of attendance.
Later on i enrolled for teachers education and passed with 70 percent. Can anyone please guide me if I'm cut out to pursue masters in physics. Is the masters(in Physics) obtained from open university(correspondence course) equally valued. Is it true that by 25 years of age one should have completed his masters and obtained PhD.
Thank you all for your valuable time and patience to answer such mundane question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want a master's in physics? Generally, these degrees are viewed as "failed PhDs". Are you thinking about continuing to a PhD? Or is it a specific, professional scientist masters degree which gears you to a specific job that you want?

Sriki said:
I'm in my life at a juncture where i have eagerness and enthusiasm to pursue masters in physics but due to prior experience I'm a bit reluctant. I enrolled for masters in physics 2 years back but dropped out in the final year due to uncleared papers that i had of 1st year, lack of co-operation by the management, harassment by faculties and shortage of attendance.
Later on i enrolled for teachers education and passed with 70 percent. Can anyone please guide me if I'm cut out to pursue masters in physics.

We can't tell if you are prepared for a MsC or not. Only you can. Can you dedicate the time and effort in attending all your classes, handing in/completing papers on time etc? If so, then you should try once again.

Sriki said:
. Is the masters(in Physics) obtained from open university(correspondence course) equally valued.

A MsC from any university is considered an MsC. However, that being said, a degree from a small liberal arts college is valued MUCH less then one from Harvard, MIT etc. Nonetheless, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job just because of which university you got your degree from.

Sriki said:
Is it true that by 25 years of age one should have completed his masters and obtained PhD.

Definitely not!
Sriki said:
Thank you all for your valuable time and patience to answer such mundane question.

You are welcome.

Also, why not get a PhD? And can you clarify "uncleared papers", "teacher harassment" and "lack of cooperation from management"?

@ ModusPwnd --- Thank you for your valuable reply. Yes it is a specific masters degree which gears me to a specific job that i want. In a long run i do have the idea of pursuing research in order to get a PhD.

@ Shivam3013 --- Thank you for your valuable reply. Now that you have said that the degree in correspondence is as equivalent as a degree from any other college(most of them) it has given me with enough courage to pursue Masters in physics. Uncleared papers are the papers of first year which i couldn't write and secure passing marks. Teacher harassment -- I didn't get the attendance for the days that i had attended hence had a shortage which denied me the privilege of writing exams and moreover there were some internal politics which I'm not familiar with. Lack of co-operation --- refers to advice that i could have got from the student body regarding the steps that i should have taken in order to avoid the consequences faced.
Once again i thank each one of you.

Shivam3013 said:
However, that being said, a degree from a small liberal arts college is valued MUCH less then one from Harvard, MIT etc.

Seriously where are you even getting this information? Are you pulling it out of a hat? Can you provide any valid source that asserts and backs up this statement? I mean all I have to do is mention Harvey Mudd and already there's a counter-example to your grandiose claim.

WannabeNewton said:
Seriously where are you even getting this information? Are you pulling it out of a hat? Can you provide any valid source that asserts and backs up this statement? I mean all I have to do is mention Harvey Mudd and already there's a counter-example to your grandiose claim.

Harvey Mudd alums have higher starting salaries than the other schools he mentioned.

http://blogs.wsj.com/atwork/2013/09/12/from-harvard-to-harvey-mudd-which-college-grads-earn-the-most/

1. What are the necessary qualifications to pursue a master's degree in physics?

To pursue a master's degree in physics, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as mathematics or engineering. Some universities may also consider applicants with a strong background in other sciences, such as chemistry or biology.

2. What skills and qualities are important for success in a master's program in physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a solid foundation in mathematics, and a passion for the subject are all important qualities for success in a master's program in physics. In addition, good communication skills and the ability to work independently and in a team are also valuable.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a master's degree in physics?

The length of a master's program in physics can vary depending on the university and whether the program is full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a master's degree in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available with a master's degree in physics?

A master's degree in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in industries such as aerospace, defense, and technology. It can also open up opportunities in academia, teaching at the high school or college level, or pursuing a PhD in physics.

5. Is a master's degree in physics worth the time and investment?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. A master's degree in physics can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills, and can also open up a variety of career opportunities. It may also increase your earning potential. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and financial investment required before pursuing a master's degree in physics.