1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional reduction of 10D N=1 Super Yang Mills to 4D

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [itex]N=1 SYM[/itex] in 10 dimensions (all fields in the adjoint representation):
    [itex]\int d^{10}x\, Tr\,\left( F_{MN}F^{MN}+\Psi\Gamma^M D_M\Psi\right)[/itex]
    [itex]D_M\Psi=\partial_M \Psi+i[A_M,\Psi][/itex] is the gauge covariant derivative.
    Reduce to 4 dimensions [itex]A_M=(A_\mu,\phi_i), \mu=0,\ldots,3, i=4,\ldots 9, \partial_i=0 \,\forall \,i[/itex] and show:
    [itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i + [\phi_i,\phi_j][\phi^i,\phi^j][/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My ansatz:
    [itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i}+F_{i\nu}F^{i\nu}+F_{ij}F^{ij}[/itex]
    I have some trouble writing down what [itex]F_{\mu i}[/itex] and [itex]F^{\mu i}[/itex] are. I think my problem is that I only have the definition of the gauge covariant derivative acting on a field in the adjoint.
    [itex]F_{\mu i}=\frac{1}{i}[D_\mu,D_i]=\frac{1}{i}(D_\mu D_i - D_i D_\mu) = ?[/itex]
    Is [itex]D_i = i\phi_i[/itex]?

Thanks for any help!

physicus

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Up to sign and other conventions, yes. Remember that the ##\phi_i## are also in the adjoint representation. You seem to take conventions so that ##D_M = \partial_M +i A_M##. Then dimensional reduction tells to take ##\partial_i=0## when acting on any fields, so we recover [itex]D_i = i\phi_i[/itex].

4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    Thanks! Why can we write [itex]D_M=\partial_M+iA_M[/itex] if for some field [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint [itex]D_M X=\partial_M X +i[A_M,X][/itex] (which is given in the exercise)? I don't see where the commutator should come from.

I tried to determine [itex]F_{\mu i}=\frac{1}{i}[D_\mu,D_i][/itex] by letting it act on some [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint:
    [itex][D_\mu,D_i]X=D\mu D_i X - D_i D_\mu X[/itex]
    [itex]=D_\mu(i[\phi_i,X])-D_i(\partial_\mu X+i[A_\mu,X])[/itex]
    [itex]=i\partial_\mu[\phi_i,X]-[A_\mu,[\phi_i,X]]-i[\phi_i,\partial_\mu X]+[\phi_i,[A_\mu,X]][/itex]
    Use the Jacobi identity in the last term and : [itex]\partial_\mu[\phi_i,X]=[\partial_\mu\phi_i,X]+[\phi_i,\partial_\mu X][/itex]
    [itex]=i[\partial_\mu\phi_i,X]-[A_\mu,[\phi_i,X]]-[A_\mu,[X,\phi_i]]-[X,[\phi_i,A_\mu]][/itex]
    The 2nd and 3rd term cancel.
    [itex]=i[\partial_\mu \phi_i+i[A\mu,\phi_i],X][/itex]
    [itex]=i[D_\mu\phi_i,X][/itex]
    I would have expected the result to be [itex]i(D_\mu\phi_i)X[/itex] without commutator. But even if that was the result i would get an unwanted factor 2:
    [itex]F_{MN}F^{MN}=F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\color{red}{2} D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i + [\phi_i,\phi_j][\phi^i,\phi^j][/itex]

Where am I wrong?

5. Jul 26, 2013 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The factor of 2 is correct. See pages 9-10 of http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9801182. You can rescale the ##\phi_i##, which just puts a factor of 1/4 in front of the potential term.

6. Jul 30, 2013 #5
    Thanks, there seems to be an error in the exercise then.

I still have another question. I found for a field [itex]X[/itex] in the adjoint of the gauge group:
    [itex]F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i}X = \ldots = [D_\mu \phi_i,[D^\mu \phi^i,X]] = D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i X+X D_\mu \phi_i D^\mu \phi^i[/itex]
    The calculation is equivalent to my previous post.
    What can i conclude from that for [itex]Tr\,(F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i})[/itex]?

All the operators have gauge group indices:
    [itex]F_{\mu i}{}_a{}^b F^{\mu i}{}_b{}^c X_c{}^d = (D_\mu \phi_i)_a{}^b (D^\mu \phi^i)_b{}^c X_c{}^d+X_a{}^b (D_\mu \phi_i)_b{}^c (D^\mu \phi^i)_c{}^d[/itex]

I need [itex]Tr\,(F_{\mu i}F^{\mu i})=F_{\mu i}{}_a{}^b F^{\mu i}{}_b{}^a[/itex]
    Can I get that from what i have done?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted