Dimensional representation of Roots

• B
  • Thread starter Leo Authersh
  • Start date
Leo Authersh
If the square root as two coordinate axes in the complex plane, does the cubic root has 3 coordinate axes and so on for nth root?

@vanhees71 Can you please explain this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A complex number has real and imaginary part, which you can intepret as cartesian coordinates of vectors in a plane. I don't understand what you mean by "the square root has 2 coordinates".

Likes Leo Authersh
If the square root as two coordinate axes in the complex plane, does the cubic root has 3 coordinate axes and so on for nth root?

@vanhees71 Can you please explain this?
No. One complex number is simply one complex number. The fact that complex numbers can be written as ##x+iy## with real ##x,y## is due to the fact, that ##\mathbb{C}## is a two-dimensional real vector space and ##\{1,i\}## a basis.
All complex numbers can be written in this way, no matter how often or which root you take.

Likes Leo Authersh
You are extrapolating with a sample size that is too small. A given complex number has two square roots, three cube roots, four fourth roots, and so on. Each of these roots can be expressed in the form x + iy in Cartesian form (also called rectangular form).

For example, the complex number -1 + 0i has these cube roots: ##\frac{\sqrt 3} 2 + \frac 1 2 i, -1 + 0i##, and ## \frac{\sqrt 3}2 - i\frac 1 2##. In polar form, these are ##e^{i\pi/3}, e^{i\pi}##, and ##e^{i 5\pi/3}##.

Likes Leo Authersh