Dipole moment operator and perterbations

In summary, the two authors develop two different Hamiltonians for a system of individual neutral atoms in a magnetic field. The Hamiltonian for the system in a magnetic field treated with microwaves is different from the Hamiltonian for the system treated with an electric field.
Paintjunkie
TL;DR Summary
regarding the way the dipole moment operator is handled in perturbation theory. electric and magnetic cases
I am reading a PHD thesis online "A controlled quantum system of individual neutral atom" by Stefan Kuhr. In it on pg46, he has a Hamiltonian

I am also reading a book by L. Allen "optical resonance and two level atoms" in it on page 34 he starts with a Hamiltonian where the perturbation is the same with the E operator instead of B.

They both develop this in the same manner saying that the dipole operator can be represented as

They both use the Heisenberg picture and eventually arrive at the following (Allen has E operator instead of B)

So I guess my question is. how come this is ok? Am I to assume the general treatment is fine, but when it comes down to actually calculating the dipole matrix elements they would be different? In my Jackson E&M book, on page 296, I see that E and B would have the same form, they are not really operators there though... I am just a little confused.

I myself as trying to use a Bloch Sphere to represent the interactions of resonant microwaves and an off resonant laser on a two level system. So I am thinking to develop it the same way the two of them do. I believe that it was Feynman, Vernon, and Hellwarth that developed this, but I have not actually looked at their derivation.

Physics news on Phys.org
To add to this, my confusion comes when the Bloch Sphere is finally derived from it. It seemed like the pseudospin vectors that were derived in both cases were the same, and that led to the same Bloch vector. But if I expose my system to an on resonance magnetic pulse from t0 to t1 and then at an electric pulse from t1 to t2. am I moving around the same sphere?

Well, the two sources obviously treat different physical situations. I don't have Allen's book at hand, but I guess he considers the usual (non-relativistic?) treatment of the semiclassical theory of an atom, i.e., the interaction of an atom (with the electrons described by non-relativistic QT) with an external classical electromagnetic field in the dipole approximation, i.e., the interaction with this external field is, in dipole approximation, given by ##\hat{H}_{\text{int}}=-\hat{\vec{d}} \cdot \vec{E}.##
The interaction with the magnetic field is neglected (it's part of the next order of the multipole expansion).

The PhD thesis, publicly available online here:

http://hss.ulb.uni-bonn.de/2003/0191/0191.htm

deals with an atom in a magneto-optical trap, and there the author treats the motion of the atom in the magnetic field. I'm only a bit puzzled about the sign in Eq. (4.1). I don't know why he write ##\hat{H}_{\text{int}}=+ \hat{\vec{\mu}} \cdot \vec{B}## instead of having a - sign on the right-hand side.

Likes Cryo
good eye, seems to be a typo to me, quick look in QM Griffiths tells me it should be minus.

The MOT should not matter, I don't think... the magnetic coils for the MOT should be turned off when the microwaves are perturbing the atom. In my lab, we use an anti-Helmholtz config (I think all MOT's do? The thesis seems to say he does.) so you can approximate B=0 at the middle anyways.

The end result is unchanged, the equations that the Pauli operators follow is the "same" in both cases(with E swapped for B) ill include a picture of Allen.

I was really under the impression that in the thesis the microwaves were the ones perturbing the system (bottom of page 45). Because of what happens immediately after on page 46, I thought that the microwaves were imparting a electromagnetic wave whose contribution was mostly magnetic.

A quick look in QM Griffiths (pg348) seems to contradict this. saying that an atom interacting with a passing light wave responds mainly to the electric part.

I think it has something to do with a symmetry argument. something about the hyperfine states having spherical symmetry and so the electric dipole moment is zero. but I don't really get that.

Attachments

• 2019_05_20 9_56 AM Office Lens.jpg
    2019_05_20 9_56 AM Office Lens.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 218

1. What is the dipole moment operator?

The dipole moment operator is a mathematical representation of the electric dipole moment of a molecule. It is used to describe the distribution of positive and negative charges within a molecule and is an important concept in understanding molecular structure and interactions.

2. How is the dipole moment operator calculated?

The dipole moment operator is calculated by taking the product of the charge of each atom in a molecule and its respective position vector. This is then summed over all the atoms in the molecule to give the overall dipole moment of the molecule.

3. What are perturbations in relation to the dipole moment operator?

Perturbations refer to small changes or disturbances in a system. In the context of the dipole moment operator, perturbations can arise from external electric fields or interactions with other molecules. These perturbations can affect the overall dipole moment of a molecule and its behavior.

4. How are perturbations accounted for in calculations involving the dipole moment operator?

Perturbations are accounted for through the use of perturbation theory, which involves expanding the dipole moment operator in a series of terms and calculating the effects of each term on the overall dipole moment. This allows for a more accurate description of the molecule's behavior in the presence of perturbations.

5. What is the significance of the dipole moment operator in chemistry?

The dipole moment operator is a fundamental concept in chemistry as it helps to explain the properties and behavior of molecules. It is used in various calculations and theories, such as molecular orbital theory and spectroscopy, and is essential in understanding intermolecular interactions and the overall structure of molecules.