Dirac Delta from Continous Eigenfunctions

In summary: The function f(a) is an eigenfunction of the operator with eigenvalue λ1, and the function g(a) is an eigenfunction of the operator with eigenvalue λ2.Therefore, the integral of the two functions with respect to a must be infinite.
Master J
In the equation for determining the coefficients of eigenfunctions of a continuous spectrum operator, I have trouble understanding the origin of the Dirac delta.

a_f = INTEGRAL a_g ( INTEGRAL F_f F_g ) dq dg

a is the coefficient, F = F(q) is an eigenfunction.

From this it is shown that the first integral (ie. of the eigenfunctions with dq) must be a Dirac delta function, that is, that for f = g it is infinite. Why is this? Landau Lifgarbagez states that it is to prevent the integral with dg from vanishing, but I don't see this.

This would mean that a_f = INTEGRAL a_f (infinity) df ...how is this?

Cheer folks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is pretty much the same question as before, right? Only last time it was discrete (Eq 3.5) an = Σ am ∫ ψm ψn* dq, and this time it's continuous (Eq 5.3) af = ∫ af' (∫ψf'ψf* dq) df'.

In both cases, the reason is (like LL say): "This relation must hold for arbitrary af". The only way an = Σ am (...blah...) can hold for arbitrary an is if (...blah...) is a Kronecker delta, δmn, and the only way af = ∫ af' (...blah...) df' can hold for arbitrary af is if (...blah...) is a delta function, δ(f-f').

That's all good, but it's specifically the infinity part...why must the inner product of the two eigenfunctions when f=g inner product of it with itself) be infinity to satisfy this??

I can't see what those equation are. But let me say something.

Even though
δ(x)={infinity; x=0}={0; x≠0}

But from the definition:
∫δ(x)dx=1 -----> The area under the 'curve' must be 1:
Dirac_function_approximation.gif

The Dirac delta function as the limit (in the sense of distributions) of the sequence of Gaussians: Wiki

so, for every single function, there must be a value a that satisfy the equations:
f(a)=∫f(x-a)δ(x)dx

[itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\Psi[/itex] [itex]_{f}[/itex] [itex]\Psi[/itex] [itex]_{g}[/itex] dqThought I might as well get used to this Latex thing :D

My question is, why is this integral infinity when f=g ?

Psi is an eigenfunction of a continuous spectrum operator

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as 0 for all values of x except at x = 0, where it is infinite. It is often described as an "impulse" or "spike" function, as it has an infinitely tall and narrow peak at x = 0.

2. How is the Dirac Delta function related to continuous eigenfunctions?

The Dirac Delta function is often used in conjunction with continuous eigenfunctions in mathematical and physical applications. This is because the Dirac Delta function can be thought of as a continuous eigenfunction of the identity operator, with the property that δ(x)f(x) = f(0) for any continuous function f(x).

3. What is the physical significance of the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function has many physical interpretations and applications. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent a point particle, in signal processing to represent a pulse or impulse, and in fluid mechanics to represent a point force or mass.

4. How is the Dirac Delta function used in mathematical calculations?

The Dirac Delta function is often used in mathematical calculations to simplify integrals and solve differential equations. It can also be used to define other mathematical functions, such as the Heaviside step function and the Kronecker delta function.

5. Are there any limitations or controversies surrounding the Dirac Delta function?

While the Dirac Delta function is a useful mathematical tool, it does have some limitations and controversies. Some mathematicians argue that it is not a true function in the traditional sense, as it is not defined at x = 0. There are also debates about its physical interpretation and whether it is a valid representation of certain phenomena. Additionally, its use in certain mathematical calculations can lead to divergent results, which must be carefully considered and addressed.