Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac delta function in reciprocal function

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    From dirac, if A=B, then [itex] \frac{A}{x}=\frac{B}{x}+c\delta(x)[/itex] (1) How this formula is derived?

Since [itex]\frac{dlnx}{dx} = \frac{1}{x}-i\pi\delta(x)[/itex]
    We can get [itex]\frac{A}{x} = A\frac{dlnx}{dx}+Ai\pi\delta(x)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{B}{x} = B\frac{dlnx}{dx}+Bi\pi\delta(x)[/itex]
    So if A=B, [itex] \frac{A}{x}=\frac{B}{x}.[/itex]

Another argument is if we integrate the equation (1) from -a to a, a->[itex]\infty[/itex] and assume in a small region [itex][-\varepsilon, \varepsilon ][/itex], [itex]\int_{-\varepsilon}^{\varepsilon}\frac{1}{x}dx=0,[/itex] so we can get [itex] \int_{-a}^{a}\frac{1}{x}dx=0, but \int_{-a}^{a}c\delta(x)dx=c,[/itex] so the left side of equation (1) doesn't equal to the right side. Please correct me if I am wrong!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems like you're talking about the identity

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x\pm i\epsilon} = \mathcal P \frac{1}{x} \mp i\pi \delta(x),[/tex]
    where [itex]\mathcal P[/itex] denotes a principle value.

Beyond that, though, I'm not sure what your question is.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3
    Hi Mute,

In Dirac's book, he demonstrates that if A=B, one can't infer A/x=B/x, but only A/x=B/x+cδ(x). I cannot get the latter result. And if we integrate the latter equation, it doesn't look correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook