Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac equation for the conjugated field

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    This is probably a stupid question, but when I apply the Euler-Lagrange equation to the Lagrangian density of the Dirac field I get for the conjugate field

[tex]\bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m) = 0[/tex] (derivative acts to the left).

But when I take a hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation for the field I get an extra [tex]\gamma^0[/tex]:

[tex]0 = \left[ (i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} -m)\psi \right]^\dagger = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu (\gamma^{\mu})^\dagger -m) = \psi^\dagger (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0(-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m) = \bar{\psi} (-i \partial_\mu \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^0 -m)[/tex].

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Taking the normal hermitean conjugate of the <original> Dirac eqn will not give you the <conjugated> equation. You need an extra [itex] \gamma_0 [/itex].

Actually, you took out the [itex] \gamma_0 [/itex] from the paranthesis without it being there next to the <m>. That's wrong.

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Ah yes, of course. Then I can multiply with [tex]\gamma^0[/tex] from the right and get the same equation as from Euler-Lagrange. I'm such an idiot. Thanks a lot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook