Do we really mean Hermitian conjugate here?

In summary, the author of the article states that the hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation refers to the hermitian conjugate in the 4-dimensional spinor space, but not in the n-dimensional space on which the SO(1,3) group is represented.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
When people want to find a conserved current which is constructed from a Dirac spinor, they consider the Dirac equation and its "Hermitian conjugate". But the equations they consider are ## (i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -m)\psi=0 ## and ##\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu \overleftarrow{\partial_\mu}+m)=0 ## where ## \bar\psi=\psi^\dagger \gamma^0 ##.
But its obvious that they're assuming that ## (i\partial_\mu)^\dagger=-i\partial_\mu ##. But this is actually the naive way of finding the Hermitian conjugate of an operator because we know that the definition of the Hermitian conjugate of an operator is ## \langle A x,y\rangle=\langle x,A^\dagger y \rangle ## and we also know that by this definition, the operator ## i\partial_k## is actually Hermitian. But I don't know about ## i\partial_0 ## because the inner product doesn't contain a time integral.
Can anybody clarify this?
Thanks

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
But nobody is questioning the hermiticity of a derivative operator, but the hermitean adjoint of a sum of 4x4 matrices ## i \gamma^0 \partial_0 + ...##. To find this, you need to find the complex conjugate matrix and then transpose it.

Likes ShayanJ
dextercioby said:
But nobody is questioning the hermiticity of a derivative operator, but the hermitean adjoint of a sum of 4x4 matrices ## i \gamma^0 \partial_0 + ...##. To find this, you need to find the complex conjugate matrix and then transpose it.
The point is, the operator ## \partial_k ## by itself is not Hermitian. Its the operator ## i\partial_k## that is Hermitian.

To talk about hermiticity one first needs to specify the vector space on which hermiticity is defined. The confusion comes from the fact that here we have two vector spaces. One is the 4-dimensional spinor space, another is the infinite-dimensional Hilbert space of square-integrable functions. The derivative operator ##\partial_k## is anti-hermitian (so that ##i\partial_k## is hermitian) on the latter space, but not on the former one. The hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation refers to the hermitian conjugate in the former space.

I hope this explanation will not create another confusion: Lorentz spinors are not Lorentz vectors, so how can spinors be objects in a vector space? If someone finds it confusing, here is the hint: 4-dimensional spacetime is one thing, n-dimensional space on which SO(1,3) group is represented is another. Spinor is not a vector in the former space, yet it is a vector in the latter space (with n=4 for the Dirac equation).

It seems that a mistake of confusing different vector spaces can happen even to authors of well-known QFT textbooks:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/maggiore-book-misunderstanding.858787/

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ and PeroK
The relevant [itex]\dagger[/itex] operator here is just [itex]A^\dagger = (A^*)^T[/itex]. So it's not the same as the Hermitian conjugate used in Hilbert space.

In the derivation of the conjugate equation for a Dirac field, you don't need Hermitian conjugates, you just need [itex](A^*)^T[/itex].

Likes ShayanJ
To be even more careful mathematically, whether an operator is Hermitian also depends on the inner product you're using.

Likes ShayanJ
PeroK said:
To be even more careful mathematically, whether an operator is Hermitian also depends on the inner product you're using.

Right. If your Hilbert space is just 4-component complex column matrices, then [itex](A^*)^T[/itex] is the Hermitian conjugate. But then you can't ask about whether [itex]i \partial_\mu[/itex] is Hermitian, because that is not an operator on that particular Hilbert space.

Demystifier said:
To talk about hermiticity one first needs to specify the vector space on which hermiticity is defined. The confusion comes from the fact that here we have two vector spaces. One is the 4-dimensional spinor space, another is the infinite-dimensional Hilbert space of square-integrable functions. The derivative operator ##\partial_k## is anti-hermitian (so that ##i\partial_k## is hermitian) on the latter space, but not on the former one. The hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation refers to the hermitian conjugate in the former space.

I hope this explanation will not create another confusion: Lorentz spinors are not Lorentz vectors, so how can spinors be objects in a vector space? If someone finds it confusing, here is the hint: 4-dimensional spacetime is one thing, n-dimensional space on which SO(1,3) group is represented is another. Spinor is not a vector in the former space, yet it is a vector in the latter space (with n=4 for the Dirac equation).

It seems that a mistake of confusing different vector spaces can happen even to authors of well-known QFT textbooks:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/maggiore-book-misunderstanding.858787/

That was really enlightening. Thanks man!

Shyan said:
That was really enlightening. Thanks man!
You are welcome. :smile:

If that was enlightening, perhaps the following will also be:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1309.7070 [Eur. J. Phys. 35, 035003 (2014)]

Likes ShayanJ and dextercioby

1. What is the Hermitian conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate, also known as the adjoint or conjugate transpose, is an operation on matrices and vectors in linear algebra that involves taking the complex conjugate of each entry and then transposing the matrix or vector. This operation is denoted by a dagger symbol (†) and is used to define the concept of a Hermitian matrix or Hermitian operator.

2. Why is the Hermitian conjugate important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hermitian conjugate plays a crucial role in defining the adjoint of an operator, which is used to calculate the expectation value of an observable. The Hermitian conjugate also allows us to define the concept of a Hermitian operator, which has real eigenvalues and orthogonality properties that are essential in quantum mechanics.

3. How do we know when to use the Hermitian conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate is typically used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties of a system, such as the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system. In general, if an operator or matrix is Hermitian, then its Hermitian conjugate will have important properties that can be used in calculations.

4. What is the difference between the Hermitian conjugate and the complex conjugate?

The Hermitian conjugate and the complex conjugate are two different operations. The complex conjugate involves taking the complex conjugate of each entry in a matrix or vector, while the Hermitian conjugate also includes transposing the matrix or vector. In other words, the Hermitian conjugate is the complex conjugate of the transpose of the original matrix or vector.

5. Can the Hermitian conjugate of a matrix or vector be applied to any set of numbers?

The Hermitian conjugate is defined for matrices and vectors with complex entries. It is not applicable to real numbers or matrices with only real entries. Additionally, the Hermitian conjugate only exists for matrices and vectors that have the same number of rows and columns, so it cannot be applied to all types of matrices or vectors.