Dirac formulation of QM, motivation for SE

In summary, Dirac's explanation in "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" includes the assumption that the motion of a system can be predicted given the initial state of the system, the principle of superposition, and the requirement that the state at one time determines the state at another time. The argument then introduces R, A, and B and suggests that the Heisenberg picture can be used to show that the time-evolved vector is the result of a unitary operator acting on the vector at the initial time. This leads to the conclusion of conservation of the inner-product with time. However, step 2, which introduces R, A, and B, may be unclear and may require further explanation.
RoyalCat
In Dirac's "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics", in chapter V on the equations of motion Dirac proceeds with a line of reasoning that is something along the following lines (I've modified it a bit to coincide with what's taught in the course I'm taking)

1. We assume that the motion throughout the time that the system is undisturbed can be predicted given the initial state of the system [tex]\left|\psi{t_0}\right\rangle [/tex], up to a complex scalar.

2. Owing to the principle of superposition, the scalar product between two states is constant in time, that is to say, [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left\langle \phi\left(t\right)|\psi\left(t\right)\right\rangle=0[/tex]

3. If we assume the time derivative of the state of the system is described by a linear operator, then this linear operator must be anti-hermitic, we denote it [tex]-iA[/tex]

4. If we assume that [tex]A[/tex] is the sum of a function of the momentum operator and a function of the position operator, then in order to satisfy the correspondence principle for Hamilton's equations, we must define [tex]H=\hbar A[/tex] and come to the conclusion that SE holds.

I'm fairly sure of steps 1, 3 and 4, but step 2 has me really confused.
In today's lecture, the professor wasn't quite able to justify it on the spot, he said he'd have an answer for us eventually, but he's a bit flaky on those kinds of promises, so I'd like to see if anyone here could help me.

Dirac's explanation is as follows:
"The requirement that the state a tone time determines
the state a t another time means that [tex]\left|\psi{t_0}\right\rangle [/tex] determines [tex]\left|\psi{t}\right\rangle [/tex] except for a numerical factor. The principIe of superposition applies to these
states of motion throughout the time during which the system is
undisturbed, and means that if we take a superposition relation
holding for certain states at time [tex]t_0[/tex] and giving rise to a linear equation
between the corresponding kets, e.g. the equation
[tex]\left|R{t_0}\right\rangle=c_1 \left|A{t_0}\right\rangle + c_2 \left|B{t_0}\right\rangle[/tex]
the same superposition relation must hold between the states of
motion throughout the thne during which the system is undisturbed
and must lead to the same equation between the kets corresponding to these states at any time t (in the undisturbed time interval), i.e. the equation
[tex]\left|R{t}\right\rangle=c_1 \left|A{t}\right\rangle + c_2 \left|B{t}\right\rangle[/tex]
provided the arbitrary numerical factors By which these kets may be multiplied are suitably chosen. It follows that the [tex]\left|P{t}\right\rangle [/tex]'s are linear
functions of the [tex]\left|P{t_0}\right\rangle [/tex]'s and each [tex]\left|P{t_0}\right\rangle [/tex] is the result of some linear
operator applied to [tex]\left|P{t_0}\right\rangle [/tex]"

From there the argument proceeds to say that we introduce a physical assumption that suitable constants can always be found so that the length of the state vector is constant in time.
In essence, the argument reads that the time-evolved vector is the result of some unitary operator acting on the vector at [tex]t_0[/tex]

If I can accept this claim, then I'm done, since the conservation of the inner-product with time follows immediately.

To be quite frank, I lost Dirac's argument at the point he introduced R,A,B and would be very glad if someone could help me over that hurdle.
-Anatoli

Physics news on Phys.org
Could this be the Heisenberg picture?i.e. is step 2 an illustration that states are stationary and operators evolve with time?

Last edited:

1. What is the Dirac formulation of quantum mechanics?

The Dirac formulation of quantum mechanics is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is based on the principle of superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and uses complex numbers and linear algebra to represent these states and their evolution over time.

2. What is the motivation behind the Schrödinger equation?

The motivation behind the Schrödinger equation is to provide a mathematical description of the behavior of quantum systems. It was developed by Erwin Schrödinger in 1926 and relates the time evolution of a quantum system to its energy and potential energy. The equation is central to the Dirac formulation of quantum mechanics and allows for the prediction of the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time.

3. How does the Dirac formulation differ from the traditional formulation of quantum mechanics?

The traditional formulation of quantum mechanics, known as the Copenhagen interpretation, is based on the wave function and treats particles as waves. In contrast, the Dirac formulation uses a more abstract and mathematical approach, representing particles as mathematical objects and their behavior through operators and matrices. It also provides a more unified and elegant description of quantum phenomena.

4. What are the key concepts in the Dirac formulation of quantum mechanics?

The key concepts in the Dirac formulation of quantum mechanics include superposition, the uncertainty principle, and the wave function. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, while the uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's state, which evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

5. How has the Dirac formulation impacted our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The Dirac formulation has had a significant impact on our understanding of quantum mechanics and has revolutionized the field. It has provided a more rigorous and mathematical framework for describing the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, leading to new insights and discoveries. It has also paved the way for developments in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and quantum information theory.