1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac spinors in non-relativistic limit

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    So, I have to show that in the non-relativistic limit the lower two components of the positive energy solutions to the Dirac equation are smaller than the upper two components by a factor of ##\beta##.

I started with the spinor $$\psi = \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \frac {\vec \sigma \cdot \vec p} {E + m} \phi \end{pmatrix}$$ (##\phi## is a 2-component spinor and this doesnt include the normalization factor or the exponential)
    The ##\sigma## being the Pauli matrices. Then I noted that in the non-relativistic limit ##E = \gamma m## and ##\gamma \rightarrow 1## so the denominator of the lower component is ##2m## and ##\vec p = m\vec v## in the non-relativistic limit so the m's cancel in the numerator and the denominator and I'm left with

$$\psi = \begin{pmatrix} \phi \\ \frac {\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v} {2} \phi \end{pmatrix}$$

so now I'm confused as to what to do with the ##\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v##. It seems like what I could try to do would leave the lower two components a factor of ##\frac \beta 2## smaller than the numerator.rather than just ##\beta##. So how do I approach this ##\vec \sigma \cdot \vec v##?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2
    P.S. I used n.u. for this

4. May 4, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that the question is meant to ask you to show that the lower two components are smaller than the upper two components by a factor of order ##\beta## (even though it wasn't stated that way explicitly.) So, you don't need to distinguish between a factor of ##\beta## and a factor of ##\beta/2##. Hope I'm not misinterpreting things here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted