Calculating field transformation

In summary, we first find the solution of the Dirac equation for a particle with momentum (m,0) and then use a boost along the z-axis to transform the field and find the solution for a particle with momentum (E,0,0,p^3). The final result is obtained by using the fact that the energy-momentum relation holds and simplifying the transformation matrix.
Markus Kahn

Homework Statement

Let ##\psi(x)=u(p)e^{-ipx}##, where
$$
u((m,0)) = \sqrt{m}\begin{pmatrix}
\xi\\\xi
\end{pmatrix}\quad\text{where}\quad \xi = \sum_{s\in \{+,-\}}c_s\xi^s\quad \text{and}\quad \xi^+\equiv\begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0
\end{pmatrix}\quad \xi^-\equiv\begin{pmatrix}
0\\ 1
\end{pmatrix},
$$
be a solution of the Dirac equation of a particle with momentum ##p^\mu= (m,0)##. Find the solution of the Dirac equation for a particle with momentum ##p^\mu=(E,0,0,p^3)##.

Homework Equations

A spinor transforms under a Lorentz transformation ##\Lambda## according to
$$\psi(x)\longmapsto \psi'(x')= \exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}\right)\psi(x),$$
where ##M^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{4}[\gamma^\mu,\gamma^\nu]## for a set of ##\gamma##-matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, we will be working in the Weyl representation of the ##\gamma##-matrices. Since ##u(p)## transforms like a spinor we can change coordinate frames by a transfomration of the form ##p\mapsto \Lambda p##. A boost along the ##z##-axis can be described by a parameter ##\eta_3## called rapidity and is given by
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
m\\0\\0\\0
\end{pmatrix}
\longmapsto \begin{pmatrix}
E\\0\\0\\p^3
\end{pmatrix} = (\mathbb{I}_4 \cosh \eta_3+ J_3 \sinh \eta_3)\begin{pmatrix}
m\\0\\0\\0
\end{pmatrix} = m\begin{pmatrix} \cosh\eta_3\\0\\0\\ \sinh \eta_3
\end{pmatrix}.
$$
With this we can now express ##\eta_3## in terms of ##E## and ##p^3##. We find
$$
\frac{p}{E}=\tanh(\eta_3)\Longleftrightarrow \eta_3=\frac{1}{2}(\ln(E+p^3)-\ln(E-p^3))\Longleftrightarrow \eta_3 = \frac{1}{2} \ln \frac{E+p^{3}}{E-p^{3}}.
$$
We now need to figure out the field transformation. Since ##\omega## is zero everywhere, except for ##\omega_{30}=-\omega_{03}=-\eta_3## we get
$$
\begin{align*}
\exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}\right) &= \exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}(\omega_{03}M^{03}+\omega_{30}M^{30})\right) = \exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}(\eta_3M^{03}-\eta_3 M^{30})\right)\\
&= \exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}(\eta_3M^{03}+\eta_3 M^{03})\right) = \exp\left(-i\eta_3M^{03}\right)\\
&=
\begin{pmatrix}
\sqrt[4]{\frac{E-p^3}{E+p^3}} &0&0&0\\
0& \sqrt[4]{\frac{E+p^3}{E-p^3}} &0&0\\
0&0&\sqrt[4]{\frac{E-p^3}{E+p^3}} &0\\
0& 0&0& \sqrt[4]{\frac{E+p^3}{E-p^3}}
\end{pmatrix}.
\end{align*}
$$
We can now apply this to the spinor in the rest frame and find
$$\begin{align*}\exp\left(-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu\nu}M^{\mu\nu}\right)u(p) &=
\begin{pmatrix}
0&0&\sqrt[4]{\frac{E-p^3}{E+p^3}} &0\\
0& 0&0& \sqrt[4]{\frac{E+p^3}{E-p^3}}
\end{pmatrix} \sqrt{m} \begin{pmatrix}\xi\\\xi\end{pmatrix} = \dots\\
&= \begin{pmatrix}{\sqrt{E-p^{3} \sigma_{3}} \xi^{s}} \\ {\sqrt{E+p^{3} \sigma_{3}} \xi^{s}}\end{pmatrix}.\end{align*}
$$
And this is exactly where I fail... How does one get from line one to line two in the last equation... I'm not sure where my error happens, maybe its the transformation matrix of the field, or I'm just unable how the math in this last equation works, but I just can't figure it out...

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured out the solution and thought that maybe it would be interesting for other as well... The calculation from above is correct up until this point. Now we can make use of the fact that the energy momentum relation ##m^2=p^2## holds and we therefore have ##m = \sqrt{E^2-(p^3)^2} = \sqrt{(E+p^3)(E-p^3)}## which directly leads to
$$
\frac{E+p^3}{m} =\sqrt{\frac{(E+p^3)^2}{m^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{(E+p^3)^2}{(E+p^3)(E-p^3)}} = \sqrt{\frac{E+p^3}{E-p^3}}.
$$
With this we find
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
0&0&\sqrt[4]{\frac{E+p^3}{E-p^3}} &0\\
0& 0&0& \sqrt[4]{\frac{E-p^3}{E+p^3}}
\end{pmatrix} \sqrt{m} =
\begin{pmatrix}\sqrt{E-p^3}&0&0&0\\ 0& \sqrt{E+p^3} &0&0\\ 0&0&\sqrt{E+p^3}&0 \\ 0&0&0&\sqrt{E-p^3}\end{pmatrix},
$$
which by applying onto ##u^s(p)## and noting that ##[(1\pm\sigma_3)/2]^2=(1-\sigma_3)/2## gives the desired result.

1. What is field transformation?

Field transformation is the process of converting data from one coordinate system to another. This is commonly used in scientific research to analyze and compare data collected from different sources.

2. How is field transformation calculated?

The calculation of field transformation involves using mathematical equations and algorithms to convert the data from one coordinate system to another. This can include transformations such as rotation, translation, and scaling.

3. What are the applications of field transformation?

Field transformation is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and geology. It is commonly used to analyze and interpret data from different sources, such as satellite imagery, geological surveys, and laboratory experiments.

4. What are the challenges of calculating field transformation?

One of the main challenges of calculating field transformation is ensuring the accuracy of the data and the transformation itself. This requires careful consideration of the equations and algorithms used, as well as the potential sources of error in the data.

5. How can field transformation be improved?

Field transformation can be improved by using advanced mathematical techniques and algorithms, as well as incorporating more precise and accurate data. It is also important to continually review and refine the transformation process to ensure its effectiveness.