1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

1. Dec 31, 2017 #1

rocdoc

Gold Member

I wondered if anyone might know of any open access materials, possibly lecture notes, on the content of the following papers or books.

P.A.M Dirac, 1950, Can. J. Math. 2,147 "Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics"

P.A.M Dirac, 1933, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 29, 389 "Homogenous variables in classical dynamics"

S. Shanmugadhasan, 1963, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 59, 743.

H.P.Kunzle, 1969, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincare, 40,107.

W. Kundt, 1965, Springer Tracts in Modern Physics, 40,107.

A.Mercier, 1963, Canonical Formalism in Classical Mechanics, New York, Dover.

P.A.M. Dirac, 1964, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, Academic Press, London.

I have access to the first article mentioned above but would still like lecture notes, problem sets with answers on it's content.

Does anyone have any comments on the importance of Dirac's theory?

I Googled "dirac generalized hamiltonian" and noted the following were mentioned in the searches returned content.

nambu

never regular

interconnected physical systems, port-hamiltonian

hamiltonian structures

Dirac solitons

Dirac operators

recursive properties of Dirac brakets

Dirac geometry

pontryagin

Does anyone have any comments on the importance of "these"?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd bet that if you googled any of those papers or subjects you'd find what you are looking for online and free....

4. Jan 2, 2018 #3

rocdoc

Gold Member

WOW.
    It looks as if the following
    P.A.M Dirac, 1950, Can. J. Math. 2,147 "Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics"
    is one of the most important papers in the history of physics!

5. Jan 2, 2018 #4

rocdoc

Gold Member

It looks as if the paper is very important for "Classical Field Theory", "Quantum Field Theory", "Gauge Field Theory".

I did not know.

My origins in science are in chemistry. I was studying the Hamiltonian for the interaction of light with a molecule, when a reference to Dirac's work turned up. See the references mentioned in Chapter 5 of Loudon ( Reference 1 ).

Reference
    1. R. Loudon, The quantum theory of light, 2nd Ed, Oxford University Press,1983.

6. Jan 3, 2018 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It's not allowed to post links to illegal sources, although for this specific paper I consider it an act of self-defence since I've never been able to download this paper in a legal way from any institution I've ever visited around the world. I don't know, who has a subscription to the Can. J. Math ;-)).

There's a very good treatment of Dirac brackets and all that in

Weinberg, QT of Fields, vol. 1

and also

Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics

7. Jan 3, 2018 #6

rocdoc

Gold Member

Hi vanhees71. Any comment on the importance of Dirac brackets and all that?

8. Jan 3, 2018 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It's important to understand the canonical quantization of gauge theories, including Abelian gauge theory (e.g., QED) in general gauges (particularly manifestly covariant ones like the Lorenz gauge). The non-Abelian case is pretty complicated in any gauge, and the path-integral formalism is much more intuitive in that case, although one understands a lot of the complicated aspects when also looking at the operator formalism. The seminal papers are by Kugo et al:

http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...lls Field Theories&of=hb&sf=earliestdate&so=d

9. Jan 11, 2018 #8

rocdoc

Gold Member

10. Jan 11, 2018 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Amazing, thank you for your work :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted