1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct current in electric motors?

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. Small electric motors with only one armature loop sometimes get stuck. They can be started again by giving the armature a small twist. Looking at the diagram below, what might be the explanation for the motor not being able to start on its own?
    bOIVO.jpg

When the brush(es) reaches the split within the ring, current ceases to flow. This lack of electricty will stop the split ring commutator and evidently, the motor. Since no current can be transmitted, the motor can't start on its own. However, giving the armature a small twist will close the circuit allowing the motor to operate.

Please help! I'm not really understanding the principles of motors. I'm taking shots in the dark in answering my questions.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your answer is fine. Can you think of some things that could be done to minimize this problem with DC brushed motors?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    The problem can be minimize by using more than one armature

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Good answer! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook