1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction and magnitude of the current

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Taking R = 1.00 kΩ and ε = 250 V in the figure, determine the direction and magnitude of the current in the horizontal wire between a and e.
    http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7250/img001nkm.th.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchhoff´s law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I must try to apply Kirchhoff´s loop rule to both rules?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, all three loops. Or perhaps you could combine the 4R and 3R in parallel to get a simpler circuit with only two loops. Once you know I1 and I2, it should be easy to find I in the original circuit.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    I think it will be done with 4R and 3R in parallel. But how can i have the value of the new R?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    If i have the new value of R i could find I1 and I2, like this:
    (xR)I1+(yR)I2=250
    and
    (xR)I1+(yR)I2=500

I think it will be the solution, but the problem is that i cant find the new value of x and y if i combine the 4R and 3R in parallel to get a simpler circuit with only two loops.
    Any help? Thanks

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The 4R and 3R (4000 and 3000 ohms) are in parallel. You must use the formula for the resistance of two resistors in parallel.

I don't understand what your x and y represent.
    It seems to me the current through the combined resistors would be I1 + I2, so the equations will each have one more term than you have shown.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook