Direction of a particle in a uniform magnetic field.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
nvictor
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a beam of particles with velocity v^vector enters a region that has a uniform magnetic field B^vector in the +x direction.

show that when the x component of the displacement of one of the particles is 2 * Pi * (m / qB) * vcos(theta), where theta is the angle between v^vector and B^vector, the velocity of the particle is in the same direction as it was when the particle entered the field

Homework Equations



the period of circular motion is T = 2 * Pi * m / q * B

The Attempt at a Solution



if I divide v = d * t = x * t

if I choose t to be T then I find v = v cos(theta).

then thing is, I don't really undertstand the question, and I want to know how to proceed from there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nvictor! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a pi: π and use bold for vectors :wink:)
nvictor said:
show that when the x component of the displacement of one of the particles is 2 * Pi * (m / qB) * vcos(theta), where theta is the angle between v^vector and B^vector, the velocity of the particle is in the same direction as it was when the particle entered the field

The displacement in the x-direction is (vcosθ)t (because speed in that direction is constant), so the question is asking you to prove that the period is 2πm/qB :smile: