Direction of electron's total magnetic dipole moment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
wumple
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Hi,

What direction does the electron's total magnetic dipole moment point relative to it's total angular momentum vector L+S? It seems to me that it would point oppositely to J=L+S since the spin magnetic dipole moment and the orbital magnetic dipole moment are both opposite to L and S, but this wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_magnetic_dipole_moment#Total_magnetic_dipole_moment

seems to indicate otherwise. What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wumple said:
Hi,

What direction does the electron's total magnetic dipole moment point relative to it's total angular momentum vector L+S? It seems to me that it would point oppositely to J=L+S since the spin magnetic dipole moment and the orbital magnetic dipole moment are both opposite to L and S, but this wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_magnetic_dipole_moment#Total_magnetic_dipole_moment

seems to indicate otherwise. What am I missing?

Read it again.
 
netheril96 said:
Read it again.

Is Gj negative? I'm not seeing it...sorry!
 
hi
Dear frindz i am confused about direction of dipole moment.why we take displacement vector from negative towards positive?