Direction of the Magnetic Field due to a Wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 16K views
cse63146
Messages
435
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Direction of the Magnetic Field due to a Wire

Homework Statement



1013366B.jpg


Find the magnetic field at point C, D, E.

The choices are for all 3 are

i) Out of the page
ii) Into the page
iii) Not into the page or not out of the page, and not = 0
iv) 0

Homework Equations



The Right Hand Rule for a Straight Wire

The Attempt at a Solution



I believe the answer for:

C - Out of the page
D - Not into the page or not out of the page, and not = 0
E - Into the page

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the individual contributions of I and 2I for point D, and then add up. C and E are correct, even though you didn't give any reason.
 
Shooting Star said:
Think about the individual contributions of I and 2I for point D, and then add up. C and E are correct, even though you didn't give any reason.

I used the Right Hand Rule for a Straight Wire, I just didnt know how to describe what I did.

Thank you for the suggestion for D.

So since I_1 doesn't equal I_2, D can't be 0.

Since I_2 > I_1, it would have more effect on it, using the right hand rule for a straight wire, D would be coming out of the page
 
Last edited: