Directional and partial derivatives help please

In summary, directional derivatives help understand how a function changes with direction. Partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives when ∅=0° or 90°. If ∅=180° or 270°, the directional derivative equals the negative of the partial derivative.
iampaul
Directional and partial derivatives help please!

I have read that the partial derivative of a function z=f(x,y) :∂z/∂x, ∂z/∂y at the point (xo,yo,zo)are just the tangent lines at (xo,yo,zo) along the planes y=yo and x=xo. Directional derivatives were explained to be derivatives at a particular direction defined by the unit vector a=cos∅xλ sin∅yλand it is given by Daf(x,y)=
∂z/∂xcos∅ + ∂z/∂ysin∅. Partial derivatives were also said to be special cases of directional derivatives when ∅=0° or 90°.

What confuses me is that if ∅=180° or 270°,the directional derivative equals the negative of the partial derivative. The angle was just increasedby 180 so the tangent line remains at the same plane and i think should it not change its value, it is still the same tangent line as before.

Physics news on Phys.org

You have answered your own question, so I'm not sure if anything I say will be helpful.

Think of the equation for the tangent line given by the partial derivatives. It's a line parameterized by a single variable, let's say [itex]t[/itex]. Now when [itex]t[/itex] increases we need to pick which direction we want to traverse the tangent line. When we rotate by the angels you mentioned, all we are doing is choosing to traverse the tangent line in the opposite direction.

Part of the reason for this is that our math shouldn't be bogged down into which coordinate system we use. Instead of the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] axes, we may want to use two different vectors to serve as our axes.

The directional derivative tells the rate of change of z as the point in your domain moves at unit speed in the given direction. If you flip your direction of motion (in the domain), then z switches from increasing to decreasing (or vice-versa), which is why the sign of the directional derivative flips. So yes, it is the same tangent line, but you are going "down" along it instead of "up" along it.

thanks a lot :)

1. What is the definition of directional derivative?

The directional derivative is the rate at which a function changes in a particular direction at a specific point. It measures the slope of the function in a certain direction.

2. How are directional derivatives calculated?

To calculate a directional derivative, you must first find the gradient of the function at the given point. Then, you must take the dot product of the gradient with a unit vector in the direction you want to find the derivative in.

3. What is the relationship between directional derivatives and partial derivatives?

Directional derivatives are a generalization of partial derivatives. While partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, directional derivatives can measure the rate of change in any direction.

4. Can directional derivatives be negative?

Yes, directional derivatives can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the given direction at the given point.

5. What is the significance of directional and partial derivatives in real-world applications?

Directional and partial derivatives are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. They are used to analyze the behavior of complex functions and make predictions about how they will change in different directions.