Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Fixed Variables in Partial Derivatives

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    My physics book is showing an example of why it matters "what variable you hold fixed" when taking the partial derivative. So it asks to show that
    ##(\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}})_{y} \neq (\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{x}})_z##
    where ##w=xy## and ##x=yz## and the subscripts are what variable is held fixed.

I'm just not sure what it means by holding a variable "fixed" since all other variables except the two in question are treated as constants, so why would it matter whether ##w## is a function of ##(x, y)## or a function of ##(x, z)##
    I mean I see that the partial derivatives don't match up, but don't really see why the variables make a difference since they are the same function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The condition ##x=yz## describes a surface in three dimensions. Now, you can use different sets of variables to parametrise this surface. One choice is to use x and y and another to use x and z. Varying x in the first parametrisation is generally going to give you a displacement in the surface that will be different from the one you obtain if you vary x in the same way in the second parametrisation. The "keeping these variables fixed" essentially tells you what parametrisation is used and therefore exactly what variations should be considered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted