Dirty Jobs - What was that animal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal Jobs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 6K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,696
Reaction score
9,093
On Dirty Jobs tonight, Mike Rowe was helping an Big Animal Veteranarian. What was that critter? It looks like it could have been a wolverine or fisher but it had a very pointed snout like a possum has. Big white whiskers.

I can't describe it well, but I've been ruling things out with my biologist sister and Googling it.

The key is the sharp pointed snout - completely unlike weasel, mink, otter or wolverine.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Was it the Bearcat? I recall seeing one on his show once. I tell you, that show made me acquire respect for so many people.
 
That description makes me think of Giant Anteaters.
 
hypatia said:
Was it the Bearcat? I recall seeing one on his show once. I tell you, that show made me acquire respect for so many people.
Yep that was it.

Knowing the name I could Google it and found http://www.tv.com/dirty-jobs/exotic-animal-keeper/episode/1141065/recap.html" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a bearcat upclose, such a cool animal.
 
They have a strange smell because of the musk gland under the prehensile tail. The fur is more like straight steel wool, really not soft at all. And they do eat a lot of bananas, at least the one I was around had a corner on the local banana market. He ate something like 6-7 pounds of bananas along with other fruit and some eggs. Every day.
 
jim mcnamara said:
They have a strange smell because of the musk gland under the prehensile tail.
According to the show, the smell is indistinguishable from popcorn.

jim mcnamara said:
The fur is more like straight steel wool, really not soft at all.
That was one of the notable things I was trying to descrinbe to my sister. It didn't look like otter fur or anything sleek - it looked grayish and had http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz...m_Steph_14928553_400.jpg.html?hint=nm0000385".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so now I want to be up close to Sam Elliott and a bearcat!
 
hypatia said:
Sam Elliott and a bearcat!
I think I was once described thusly by a girlfriend. Come on over.:biggrin:
 
My girlfriend said I reminded her of popcorn. Jiffy Pop popcorn actually. She said 30 seconds a pop and not very satisfying.
 
Last edited:
tribdog said:
My girlfriend said I reminded her of popcorn. Jiffy Pop popcorn actually. She said 30 seconds a pop and not very satisfying.
Badum tsk!
 
tribdog said:
My girlfriend said I reminded her of popcorn. Jiffy Pop popcorn actually. She said 30 seconds a pop and not very satisfying.
If you wait too long before taking it out, does it start to burn?:rolleyes:
 
Actually, she was talking about trying to have a serious conversation with me, but I see where your mind is.