Discover the Game Champion: 115 Kids Tournament

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter evinda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game Kids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
3,741
Reaction score
0
Hello! (Wasntme)

I am looking at this exercise:

A board game can be played with $3,4,5 \text{ or } 6$ players.
There is a winner at each round of the game.
A group of $115$ children decides to organize a tournament of this game,for the emergence of the champion of the game,so that at each round participates the same number of children $n \in \{ 3,4,5,6\}$ and the total number of rounds that will be played is the minimum.Which must be $n$ and how many rounds will be played?I thought that $n$ must be $5$,because that is the only number of the possible $n$s that divides $115$,is it right?

And because of the fact that $115=5 \cdot 23$, $23$ rounds will be played.. Or am I wrong??

Could I solve the second subquestion,using graphs? :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey! (Wasntme)

evinda said:
And because of the fact that $115=5 \cdot 23$, $23$ rounds will be played.. Or am I wrong??

That leaves you with 23 contestants.
How will they play to get 1 winner? (Thinking)
Could I solve the second subquestion,using graphs? :confused:

Sounds like a plan!

We must have 1 winner at the end.
If we play with $n=5$, we must have had $5$ players in the last round.
In the round before that, we might have had $25$ players... but we might also have $21$ players... (Thinking)