Creating a Balanced Single Round Robin Tournament Schedule

• MHB
  • Thread starter zugzwangle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a formula for evenly distributing home and away matches in a Round Robin sporting event. The formula takes into account the number of participants, matches per round, rounds, and the "area" of the triangle formed by the number of matches and rounds. The participants are initially paired and the desired outcome is for each team to play each other team once in a single round. The issue arises when using a rotating formula, as the numbers are not correctly distributed between home and away matches. The conversation ends with the question of how to create a formula for an equally distributed Single Round Robin Tournament.
zugzwangle
Hi all.
I have a question involving a Round Robin sporting event, so grab a pen if you're up to the challenge. I want to create a formula to evenly distribute home and away matches. Firstly, to less complicate the situation, I need only consider even number participants in the tournament, as I would substitute a 'bye' with an extra number if need be.
You can visualise the Round Robin Schedule below.
However I am going to complicate the issue. This is a Single Round robin - so each team plays each other team ONCE only.
From my own mathematical findings, I have found that:
If P = Participants
1). Matches per round = P / 2
2). Rounds = P - 1
3). Games (or I considered this the 'area' of the triangle, and hence a triangle number) , so the nth triangle number = (P^2 - P) / 2. (Multiply matches per round by Rounds)
4). If I create a Round Robin using a rotating formula such as this where the numbers rotate around the first number (1) the numbers are not correctly distributed between home and away
R1 R2 R3 R4
12 16 15 etc ...
63 52 41 ...
54 43 32 ...
=>>>> works out as
If H = Home, A=Away
Participant 1 HHHHH
Participant 2 AAHHH
Participant 3 AAHHH
Participant 4 AAHHH
Participant 5 AAHHH
Participant 6 AAHHH

An example of how the finished tournament would look like:

Participant 1 HAHAH
Participant 2 AHAHA
Participant 3 HAHAH
Participant 4 AHAHA
Participant 5 HAHAH
Participant 6 AHAHA

Given I have already paired the participants, how might I go about formulating an equally distributed Single Round Robin Tournament!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I moved this topic here as it seems a better fit than Geometry.

1. What is a Single Round Robin Tournament?

A Single Round Robin Tournament is a type of competition where each participant plays against every other participant exactly once. This means that every player in the tournament will have the same number of matches and will compete against every other player in the tournament.

2. How does a Single Round Robin Tournament differ from other tournament formats?

In a Single Round Robin Tournament, each participant plays against every other participant only once. This is different from other tournament formats such as double round robin, where each participant plays against every other participant twice, or a knockout tournament, where participants are eliminated after each round.

3. What are the advantages of a Single Round Robin Tournament?

One advantage of a Single Round Robin Tournament is that it allows for a fair and balanced competition, as each participant has an equal opportunity to play against every other participant. It also ensures that the tournament will have a clear winner, as every participant will play against every other participant.

4. Are there any drawbacks to a Single Round Robin Tournament?

One potential drawback of a Single Round Robin Tournament is that it may take longer to complete compared to other tournament formats, as each participant plays more matches. It also does not allow for a rematch between participants, which some may see as a disadvantage.

5. How is the winner determined in a Single Round Robin Tournament?

The winner of a Single Round Robin Tournament is determined by the total number of points earned throughout the tournament. Points are typically awarded for wins, draws, and losses, with different point values assigned to each. The participant with the highest number of points at the end of the tournament is declared the winner.