Net force on a 92 kg quarterback tackled by a 110 kg linebacker

  • Thread starter Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
afcwestwarrior
Messages
453
Reaction score
0
A linebacker has a mass of 110 kg, and he takes off when the ball is snapped and tackles the Q.B of a constant net force of 3.7 * 10^4 N. What is the net force that acts on the 92 kg Q.B.

I know the answer, I just want to see if you can do it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. a= 3.7 * 10^4 N/ 110 kg= 336.3 m/s^2

F=92 kg * 336.3 m/s^2=30945.4 N
 
afcwestwarrior said:
a= 3.7 * 10^4 N/ 110 kg= 336.3 m/s^2
Why are you calculating the acceleration of the linebacker? (I assume that's what you're doing.) Are you assuming that the 3.7 * 10^4 N force is the only force acting on the linebacker?

Your problem statement in your first post seems truncated--so it's unclear what the full problem is.
 
although it isn't possible for a person to generate that much force, it's just a calculation.
 
Doc Al said:
Why are you calculating the acceleration of the linebacker? (I assume that's what you're doing.) Are you assuming that the 3.7 * 10^4 N force is the only force acting on the linebacker?

Your problem statement in your first post seems truncated--so it's unclear what the full problem is.

I changed up an original problem I had.
 
afcwestwarrior said:
I changed up an original problem I had.
Why don't you restate the problem as fully as possible. (If you want the net force on the QB, then the acceleration of the linebacker seems irrelevant.)