Discovery Channel re-airing Supervolcano on April 10

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kenneth Mann
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Channel Discovery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
21 replies · 5K views
Kenneth Mann
Messages
424
Reaction score
3
Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano"

Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Kenneth Mann said:
Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM

Is this the program on the yellow stone national park catastrophe?
 
stoned said:
if that thing blows up, we are goners man !

yeah pretty much. With USA in ice age, and massie climate change :rolleyes:
 
<<<is watching Dora the Explorer to freshen up on my spanish:smile:
 
Kenneth Mann said:
Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM


thanks. :smile:

It will be interesting to see how well they stick to science, and how much is about the special effects.
 
I've got on my to watch list, should be interesting..per Ivans post
 
Crap, I don't have American TV! :wink:

if its any good, please let me know and I'll watch out for it in future.
 
Kenneth Mann said:
Just as an alert, the Discovery channel will be re-airing its show "Supervolcano" Sunday, April 10, at 8:00 PM amd 11:00 PM.

KM


GAHH! That's today! Just means I'll have to stay up late Tuesday night to watch my other show. :wink:
 
Ivan Seeking said:
thanks. :smile:

It will be interesting to see how well they stick to science, and how much is about the special effects.

Do they have a tendency to make claims without the evidence of science to back up what they are saying?
 
Bladibla said:
Is this the program on the yellow stone national park catastrophe?

Yellow Stone National Park catastrophe? When was this and what happened? :confused:

Would it be like the movie The Day After Tomorrow ? That would definitely not be good.
 
hey people ! can someone make a copy of this show, and send it to me? I'm going to pay you back.
 
Attachments
  • cutekitten.jpg
    cutekitten.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 518
Those thumbnails are CUTE!:biggrin:

I'm not sure where you could find a copy of the show.
 
I thought it was a good show, based mostly in fact of of previous eruptions. A good reminder that no matter how much we know of these things, we still don't know enough.
And ok, I'll stop poking fun of my kids long term food stock, and their emergency water purification system.
 
Yes its the same show, but it aired here in one night. The post show information was very accurate.
 
I hear that there is another supervolcano in Indonesia (sumatra).
How close to the surface is this volcano in yellowstone, 10-20 Km ?
 
misskitty said:
Yellow Stone National Park catastrophe? When was this and what happened? :confused:

Would it be like the movie The Day After Tomorrow ? That would definitely not be good.

It hasn't happened yet. Basically, there as been extreme volcanic activity in the Yellowstone area in the past as it is above a hotspot. If the program is like the BBC one I saw a while back, then it addresses what could happen if another large scale eruption were to occur.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/
 
stoned said:
I hear that there is another supervolcano in Indonesia (sumatra).
How close to the surface is this volcano in yellowstone, 10-20 Km ?


Yes, and that one (Toba) is the one that has me most concerned now, considering the other recent activity near to it. It is shown at the following site:

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/southeast_asia/indonesia/toba.html

By the way, on the show, Yellowstone was called the largest. The info at this site seems to dispute that.

Toba last had a giant eruption about 75,000 years ago, when the Human race was still a very young species. That incident wiped out over ninety percent of the people if I recall my info correctly.

KM
 
Last edited by a moderator: