Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discreet math question

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
    I didn't really know where to put this so, I put it here. Anyway in discreet mathematics what does the term max{x,y} mean? I can't find it in the book anywhere and the problem I'm trying to do says:

max{x,y} = (x+y+|x-y|)/2 for all real x,y

Note: I'm not asking you to do the problem I just want to know what max means.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If S is a set, then max S is simply the maximum element of S.

More precisely, max S = x iff:
    x is in S
    for all y in S: y <= x.

Note that max S is not always defined if S is an infinite set.
  4. Sep 21, 2004 #3
    Thanks I appreciate it.
  5. Sep 21, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The word for the mathematics you are talking about is spelled "discrete". The word "discreet" has to do with social behavior. For example if someone is dressed like a slob, it is discreet not to mention it in public.
  6. Sep 22, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, mathman the word is "discrete" in either sense. There is no (English) word spelled "discreet".
  7. Sep 22, 2004 #6
  8. Sep 23, 2004 #7
    and in my little oxford lol. prudent; cautions in speech or action; unobtrusive.
  9. Sep 23, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What? ME- Wrong?? How can this be allowed to happen!! I'm going to call Brittanica immediately and insist that they change the spelling!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?