Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete and continuous problems

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

There are some dificult problems with discrete argument n that will be very easy if I can change it to continuous argument x. But I do not know what is the condition for that.
    For example: to calculate the sum of a1+a2 +a3+...an. when n goes to infinity, can I make it as S=integral of a(x) from xo to infinity ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2007 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends very much on how you define a(x) for x not an integer.

4. Jun 5, 2007 #3
    Could you please explain more about that.
    I just think the sume of An is similar to the way we calculate the integral in calculus. I mean Sum(An) = a1*d+a2*d+....an*d where d equals 1. When we calculate to rather large integer n, then d = 1 is small enough to have adequate accuracy.
    May I think that this can happen only when f(x) must have positive (or negartive) derivative all over the domain, and f(x) must also have no critical points. ?

5. Jun 6, 2007 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since a(x) has to be defined for x not integer, the integral will depend on precisely how it is defined. For example, linear interpolation between the integer values will give you a function which can be integrated to give the same result as the summation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?