Discrete Math or Linear Algebra.

In summary, the conversation involved someone discussing their current enrollment in Calculus 1 and their plans to take Calculus 2 and 3 in the summer and fall respectively. They also mentioned having a choice between Discrete Math and Linear Algebra as a math elective in the fall and asked for suggestions. Another person responded with their personal preference for Linear Algebra and the benefits of taking Discrete Math first. They also discussed the difficulty of both courses and their relevance to a math major and physics. Ultimately, the person has already signed up for Discrete Math and it was advised to take Linear Algebra before Quantum Mechanics. The conversation also touched on the abstract nature of Discrete Math and its relation to computer science.
sunny79
I am currently enrolled in Calculus 1. Will be taking Calculus 2 in summer and Calculus 3 in Fall. I have already registered for these courses. One of the Math electives I have a choice in Fall Semester is either Discrete Math or Linear Algebra. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My current major is Math. Planning on getting a double major in Math and Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. If you can pick one and only one, then linear algebra is the obvious winner. However, if it's simply a matter of timing, I would pick discrete mathematics first just because a course like that tends to introduce proof techniques and ease a person into a more 'proof' based mathematics. Finally, if you feel confident in your ability to prove theorems, and know what common terms like onto, into, domain, codomain, image, etc and if discrete is not required, I would simply take linear algebra.

MarneMath! Thanks for the reply. I have to take both eventually. It was just the sequence which I was concerned about.

I REALLY enjoyed linear algebra. As a matter of fact, it may be my favourite course I've taken so far at university (15 ish?). The discrete math course I took was a pain, but I feel it was very beneficial. I can see applications for it everywhere. I also found that linear algebra was considerably easier, so that could be something to consider.

Easier or harder isn't the concern since I have to take both anyways.

If you have to take both, take discrete first. Linear is a little better when you're more "mathematically mature." Both will help give you a flavor of what you'll be doing as a math major. Although, the material of linear is more directly applicable to physics. Discrete is used to understand things like digital logic circuits and mathematical arguments (and others I'm sure, but it's not required for the math degree at my school, just recommended). Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. I have already signed up for discrete math. :)

Doesn't matter as long as you take linear algebra before you take quantum mechanics.

Having taken both, I can say that discrete math is much more abstract and proof heavy. Lin alg is more applicable to physics, while discrete is more related to CS.

1. What is the difference between Discrete Math and Linear Algebra?

Discrete Math is the study of mathematical structures that are countable and can be represented by integers, while Linear Algebra deals with continuous structures and focuses on linear mappings and systems of linear equations.

2. How are Discrete Math and Linear Algebra used in real-life applications?

Discrete Math is used in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and operations research, while Linear Algebra is used in engineering, physics, and data analysis.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in calculus before studying Discrete Math or Linear Algebra?

No, while some concepts in both Discrete Math and Linear Algebra may be related to calculus, a strong foundation in calculus is not a prerequisite. However, a basic understanding of algebra and mathematical logic is recommended.

4. What are some common topics covered in a Discrete Math course?

Some common topics in Discrete Math include set theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory. Other topics may include logic, proof techniques, and discrete probability.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Discrete Math or Linear Algebra?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of these subjects. Solving problems, working through examples, and seeking help from peers or instructors can also be beneficial. Additionally, visual aids such as diagrams and graphs can aid in understanding abstract concepts.