Discrete Math Proving some power sets

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to prove that if the power set(A) is a subset of power set(B), then A is a subset of B. They are given a hint to use proof by contradiction, but are lost as to where to start. They eventually figure out that if A is a subset of B, then by definition P(B) must contain A, which contradicts the assumption.
Servo888
Ok so I need to prove (by contradiction) that... if the power set(A) is a subset of power set(B), then A is a subset of B.

I was given a hint to use proof by contradiction, but in general I'm lost as to what to do... I know the power set of (A) is {B|B subset A} and the powerset of (B) is {A|A subset B} but that's about it. As far as where to start; I'm drawing a blank. I need a point in the right direction of where to start, because as it stands now I've spent 2 hours looking at this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I got it...

My proof is this; Assume that if P(A) is a subset of P(B), then A is not a subset of B (contradiction method). I then show that by definition of a power set; power set B must contain all sets that are in power set A. That would mean that powerset B must contain the set A, there for A is a subset of B (since P(B) contains the set A). Which contradicts the assumption.

Not sure if it's complete, but I think the logic is right (makes sense).

Unnecessary contradiction. A is an element of P(A), which is contained in P(B), ie A is an element of P(B), hence A is...

matt grime said:
Unnecessary contradiction. A is an element of P(A), which is contained in P(B), ie A is an element of P(B), hence A is...
a subset of B.

Assume that if P(A) is a subset of P(B), then A is not a subset of B
Also if you're doing it by contradiction, this is not the assumption you want to make. The negation of the statement "if P(A) is a subset of P(B), then A is not a subset of B" is "P(A) is a subset of P(B) and A is a subset of B," which you can't prove anyway. What you mean is "Assume P(A) is a subset of P(B) _and_ A is not a subset of B."

0rthodontist said:
Also if you're doing it by contradiction, this is not the assumption you want to make. The negation of the statement "if P(A) is a subset of P(B), then A is not a subset of B" is "P(A) is a subset of P(B) and A is a subset of B," which you can't prove anyway. What you mean is "Assume P(A) is a subset of P(B) _and_ A is not a subset of B."

Ah I understand what you are saying, so it's just assuming without implication (sort of). We are assuming P(A) is a subset of P(B) and we assume A is not a subset of B. That makes sense.

What is Discrete Math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, such as integers, graphs, and sets. It is often used in computer science and engineering to model and solve problems.

What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all the subsets of a given set. For example, the power set of {1,2,3} would be {{}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {1,2}, {1,3}, {2,3}, {1,2,3}}. The power set is always larger than the original set and includes the empty set and the set itself.

How do you prove properties of power sets?

To prove properties of power sets, you can use mathematical induction, which involves showing that a statement is true for a base case (such as the empty set) and then showing that if it is true for a set, it is also true for its subsets. You can also use logical reasoning and set notation to prove properties of power sets.

What are some common properties of power sets?

Some common properties of power sets include the cardinality of a power set, which is always 2 to the power of the cardinality of the original set. Another property is that the power set is always larger than the original set. Additionally, the power set of the empty set is always the set containing only the empty set.

How is discrete math used in computer science?

Discrete math is used in computer science to model and solve problems related to algorithms, data structures, and computer systems. It is particularly useful in areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and graph theory. Many computer science concepts, such as sets, functions, and logic, are rooted in discrete math.