Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discretization in cylindrical coordinates, unit thickness for azimuth?

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    I am setting up a numerical simulation from a 2D discretization of the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates.

my spatial variables are radius (r), height (z), and azimuth (ø).

The assumption is that there is no gradient along the azimuth direction (if temperature is T then dT/dø = 0)

My problem is that I do not know how to handle the thickness Δø of my element. If I were to instead have a problem with dT/dz = 0 I know that I would use Δz = 1, but for this problem do I do the same and use Δø=1 or should it be a thickness based on r?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Jul 4, 2014 #3
    I've realized the azimuth drops out of the differential equation so my question no longer applies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook