1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discussing Tutoring Experience in Statement of Purpose?

1. Dec 11, 2015 #1
    Can it ever be harmful to discuss what tutoring experience you had as a undergraduate in your statement of purpose. I wrote 250 word paragraph how I was hired by a department at my university to tutor upper level undergraduate physics classes and what I got out of the experience. Do you feel some committee might just see it as a way to compensate for having weak research? I'm not saying that I do have weak research but I heard from others (who are outside of physics) that it can be harmful because it can argued that instead of spending time tutoring that I should of spent that time doing even more research.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2015 #2
    I don't see why it would be harmful to include.

4. Dec 11, 2015 #3
    The only way it would possibly hurt you is if you left out research experience in favor of mentioning tutoring. If that's not the case, I don't see why it would hurt?

However I'm also an undergrad, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

5. Dec 11, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You are essentially asking us what the admissions committee will think about a document we haven't seem, and to compare that to their response to potential other documents that don't exist. It's really not possible to do anything more than guess.

Let me repeat something I said on October 30th.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook