Dispersive Component of Surface Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a research project involving the treatment of plastic polymers using an APPJ and the results obtained so far. The speaker is unsure about the dispersive component of surface energy and is seeking a definition for it. They also question whether this component remains constant regardless of temperature or polar component changes. The speaker shares preliminary results for acetate plastic treated with He gas and He + O2, where the dispersive components remain relatively constant. They also ask for a definition of the dispersive component of surface energy.
Unto
Hello, I'm doing an MSc project concerned with the treatment of plastic polymers with an μ-APPJ. I have been getting a tonne of results on different plastics using an APPJ of He carrier gas with an Oxygen admixture of 1/2, 1 & 2%.

However, in my analysis I'm unsure of what the dispersive component of the surface energy is and why it more or less stays the same.

Can someone give me a definition of what it is? I think its to do with van der waals but nothing on the net is giving me a good answer.

Is it supposed to stay the same irrespective of whether the material has been heated up or its polar component increases?

How would I interpretate my data on the surface energies for example:

He_o2_SurfaceEnergy_zpsdf773115.png

For convention, -5mins to 0mins is the 5minutes of plasma treatment. I'm not measuring the plastic during this time, hence the constant values and the discontinuity when I first measure it after treatment.
This is one of my preliminary results with Acetate plastic. Treated 1 run with He gas, 2nd run with He + O2. The legend will tell you. The dispersive components stay relatively the same, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone tell me what the definition of Dispersive Component is?

Bump, I still don't know what constitutes the Dispersive Component of Surface Energy.

1. What is the dispersive component of surface energy?

The dispersive component of surface energy is a measure of the attractive forces between molecules of different substances. It is caused by temporary dipoles that are induced when two molecules come into close proximity. This component is responsible for the wetting behavior of liquids on solid surfaces.

2. How is the dispersive component of surface energy measured?

The dispersive component of surface energy can be measured using contact angle measurements. This involves placing a droplet of liquid on a solid surface and measuring the angle between the droplet and the surface. A higher contact angle indicates a lower dispersive component of surface energy.

3. What factors influence the dispersive component of surface energy?

The dispersive component of surface energy is influenced by the types of molecules present in a substance, the surface roughness of a material, and the temperature and pressure of the system. It is also affected by the polarity and strength of intermolecular forces between different substances.

4. How does the dispersive component of surface energy affect adhesion?

The dispersive component of surface energy plays a critical role in adhesion between two materials. If the dispersive component of surface energy of two substances is similar, they are more likely to adhere to each other. However, if there is a large difference in dispersive component of surface energy, there may be poor adhesion between the substances.

5. Can the dispersive component of surface energy be changed?

Yes, the dispersive component of surface energy can be altered by changing the surface properties of a material. This can be achieved through techniques such as surface treatments, coatings, and chemical modifications. These alterations can change the interactions between molecules and thus affect the overall dispersive component of surface energy.