Displacement of ball bearing using conservation of energy

In summary, the equation states that the final displacement (D) of the ball from the release point can be determined using:D^2=4hL.
phosgene

Homework Statement

A large ball bearing is suspended as a pendulum. One end of the pendulum is held by the electromagnet (1) and the ball is initially held by magnet (2) at some height, h, above its lowest position. The ball is released from (2) and as the pendulum swings through the vertical, the ball cuts an infrared beam (3) and causes the electromagnet holding the string (1) to release it. Ideally, the string is released at the instant the ball cuts the infrared beam. The ball then falls a height L and travels a horizontal distance D from the point of release.

The final displacement (D) of the ball from the release point can be determined using:

[itex]D^2=4hL[/itex]

I can't figure out how this was derived.

physics1.png

Homework Equations

Potential energy = [itex]mgh[/itex]
Kinetic energy = [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea. I thought that the final displacement from the release point would be dependent only on h, as the force of gravity after release is only acting downwards, so the horizontal velocity wouldn't change. I've also tried 'reverse-engineering' the equation to figure out how it was derived, but I don't understand where the L*h value came from, as the final kinetic energy should be mg(L+h).

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity of the ball is horizontal at point 3 and you get it from conservation of energy. mgh=1/2 m v^2. After reaching point 3, the ball is a projectile.

ehild

Try the solution in two steps.
a) falling through h
b) falling through L.

phosgene said:
I thought that the final displacement from the release point would be dependent only on h, as the force of gravity after release is only acting downwards, so the horizontal velocity wouldn't change.

Ok, horizontal velocity doesn't depend on L, but what if L is very big, let's say 1 mile ?
The ball takes "a lot of" time before touching the ground and during that time it moves horizontally as well.

Quinzio said:
Ok, horizontal velocity doesn't depend on L, but what if L is very big, let's say 1 mile ?
The ball takes "a lot of" time before touching the ground and during that time it moves horizontally as well.

Yes it does..So where's the problem?

What is the concept of conservation of energy?

The concept of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only change forms. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How does the conservation of energy apply to the displacement of a ball bearing?

In the context of the displacement of a ball bearing, the conservation of energy means that the total energy of the system (i.e. the ball bearing) remains constant throughout its motion. This means that the initial energy of the ball bearing will be equal to its final energy, even if it changes forms (e.g. from potential energy to kinetic energy).

What factors affect the displacement of a ball bearing using conservation of energy?

The displacement of a ball bearing using conservation of energy can be affected by various factors, such as the initial height of the ball bearing, its mass, and the presence of any external forces (e.g. friction). These factors can impact the amount of potential energy and kinetic energy the ball bearing has, which in turn affects its displacement.

How is the displacement of a ball bearing calculated using conservation of energy?

To calculate the displacement of a ball bearing using conservation of energy, you must first determine the initial energy of the ball bearing (e.g. potential energy at a certain height). Then, you can use the conservation of energy equation (Einitial = Efinal) to solve for the final energy of the ball bearing at its displacement. Finally, you can use the appropriate equation (e.g. kinetic energy equation) to solve for the displacement of the ball bearing.

What are some real-life applications of the displacement of a ball bearing using conservation of energy?

The concept of displacement of a ball bearing using conservation of energy has various real-life applications, such as in roller coasters (where the initial potential energy is converted to kinetic energy to move the train), pendulum clocks (where the potential energy of the weight is converted to kinetic energy to keep the clock ticking), and even in sports such as bowling and billiards (where the kinetic energy of the ball is used to displace other objects).