Displacement Vectors finding magnitude of R and theta

In summary, a displacement vector is a representation of the distance and direction between two points, commonly used in physics and engineering. To find the magnitude of a displacement vector, the Pythagorean theorem can be used. Theta, or θ, is the angle between the displacement vector and the x-axis. Displacement vectors can be negative if they point in the opposite direction of the positive direction. To find the resultant vector, the parallelogram method can be used by drawing the vectors on a graph and finding the diagonal from the origin to the opposite corner.
mariner962

Homework Statement

The displacement vectors A and B, when added together, give the resultant vector R, so that R= A+B . Use the data in the drawing and the fact that = 29° to find the magnitude R of the resultant vector and the angle θ that it makes with the +x axis.

I am unsure how to find the magnitude of R and theta

Attachments

• 1-fc-018-alt.gif
    1-fc-018-alt.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,322
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas where to start?

I know that the angle of 151 degrees is opposite the resultant and that i can use the law of cosines.

actually i know that i have to find that angle using cosines

without seeing the drawing or any numerical data. Can you please provide more information or clarify the problem? Additionally, it would be helpful to know what specific concepts or equations you are struggling with in order to provide a more detailed response.

What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the distance and direction between two points. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement of objects.

How do you find the magnitude of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, to find the magnitude of a displacement vector, you would square the x and y components of the vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the result.

What is theta in relation to displacement vectors?

Theta, or θ, is the angle between the displacement vector and the x-axis. It is used to describe the direction of the displacement vector and is measured in degrees or radians.

Can displacement vectors be negative?

Yes, displacement vectors can be negative. This occurs when the vector points in the opposite direction of the positive direction. In other words, if the displacement vector is pointing to the left or down, it will have a negative component.

How do you use displacement vectors to find the resultant vector?

To find the resultant vector, or the vector that represents the total displacement, you can use the parallelogram method. This involves drawing the two displacement vectors on a graph and then drawing a parallelogram with the vectors as adjacent sides. The resultant vector can then be found by drawing a diagonal from the origin of the parallelogram to the opposite corner.