Why Can't a Right Triangle Have Sides that Add Up to the Area of Squares?

In summary, the problem is determining whether a given triangle is a right angle, using the Pythagorean theorem. The lengths of the sides are not provided, but the areas of the squares are given. The values do not satisfy the Pythagorean theorem, and the question arises of whether the side lengths can be determined from the area. However, this is not possible as the Pythagorean theorem states $a^{2} + b^{2} = c^{2}$, not $a + b = c$. Therefore, the concern over $a + b = c$ is irrelevant.
Ziggletooth
So I've been working on Pythagorean stuff and it's pretty straight forward but then I got confused over something quite simple.

It's a geometry question so I'll try my best to illustrate the question.

So there's a triangle and we must evaluate whether it's a right angle. The lengths are not provided but each side of the triangle is also the side a square. So if we can find the length of a side from each square we can find out whether the triangle is a right triangle using the Pythagorean theorem.

The areas of the squares are provided.

The problem is the values say
a^2 = 18
b^2 = 7
c^2 = 27

Now the answer is 18 + 7 != 27 so it's not a right angle but I'm looking at this and thinking that if area is side^2 and it's a^2 = 18 then isn't the side a = sqr(18)?

So then I walk into a quagmire of sqr(18) + sqr(7) ?= sqr(27)... So what's wrong with me? I mean, the short answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ziggletooth said:
So I've been working on Pythagorean stuff and it's pretty straight forward but then I got confused over something quite simple.

It's a geometry question so I'll try my best to illustrate the question.

So there's a triangle and we must evaluate whether it's a right angle. The lengths are not provided but each side of the triangle is also the side a square. So if we can find the length of a side from each square we can find out whether the triangle is a right triangle using the Pythagorean theorem.

The areas of the squares are provided.

The problem is the values say
a^2 = 18
b^2 = 7
c^2 = 27

Now the answer is 18 + 7 != 27 so it's not a right angle but I'm looking at this and thinking that if area is side^2 and it's a^2 = 18 then isn't the side a = sqr(18)?

So then I walk into a quagmire of sqr(18) + sqr(7) ?= sqr(27)... So what's wrong with me? I mean, the short answer.

No quagmire at all.

The Pythagorean Theorem states $a^{2} + b^{2} = c^{2}$.
It says nothing of the $a + b = c$ sort. Thus, why does it concern you?

In fact, for a, b, c the lengths of the three sides of any triangle, you can't have "a+ b= c". You must have a+ b> c.

What is the difference between sides and area?

Sides refer to the line segments that make up the boundary of a shape, while area refers to the measure of the space enclosed by those sides.

How do I identify the sides and area of a shape?

To identify the sides, count the number of line segments that make up the boundary of the shape. To find the area, use the appropriate formula for the shape, such as length x width for a rectangle or base x height for a triangle.

Can a shape have more than four sides?

Yes, a shape can have any number of sides, including more than four. Some examples include pentagons (5 sides), hexagons (6 sides), and octagons (8 sides).

Do the sides of a shape have to be equal in length?

No, the sides of a shape do not have to be equal in length. In fact, most shapes have sides of varying lengths. The exception is regular polygons, which have all equal sides.

How can I use the concept of sides and area in real life?

The concept of sides and area is used in many practical applications, such as measuring and designing buildings, calculating the amount of paint needed for a room, and determining the size of a piece of land. It is also important in fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction.