Dissipation of mechàanical energy in collision of sandwiches

In summary, the collision between the submarine sandwich and the grilled cheese sandwich results in a decrease of kinetic energy by -2.16 Joules. This is because momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not. The final kinetic energy of the system is 1.304 Joules, compared to the initial total kinetic energy of 4.0625 Joules.
emeraldempres
On a greasy, essentially frictionless lunch counter, a submarine sandwich of mass 0.500 kg, moving with speed 3.50 m/s to the left, collides with a grilled cheese sandwich of mass 0.200 kg moving with speed 2.00 m/s to the right.

How much mechanical energy dissipates in the collision?

I calculated the final velocity (-1.93 m/s) but I don not know where to go after that

Physics news on Phys.org
In this collision, think about what's being conserved and what isn't.

Momentum is always conserved. That leaves just one thing that isn't.

Compare the initial total KE of both sandwiches to the final KE.

i think that the kinetic energy is what is not being conserved because it is being transferred to puck b.

the initial ke of a is
a: ke= .5(.5)(-3.5^2)= 3.0625
b: ke= .5 (.2)(2^2)= 1

and the final ke is ke= .5(.5+.2)(-1.93^2)= 1.304

I had all these and subtract them from eacj other and got -2.76

Pretty sure that's right, although the negative sign is unnecessary. As long as you understand that your answer is the change in kinetic energy, that is, the kinetic energy of your system went down by that much, you're good.

I just tried that one and my homework says that -2.76 and 2.76 are not right. Anything else i can do?

emeraldempres said:
the initial ke of a is
a: ke= .5(.5)(-3.5^2)= 3.0625
b: ke= .5 (.2)(2^2)= 1
Redo that second calculation.

thanks. i went back through my math and found an error, the answer is -2.16 J

What is "Dissipation of mechanical energy in collision of sandwiches"?

"Dissipation of mechanical energy in collision of sandwiches" refers to the process of energy being lost or transformed into other forms during the collision of two sandwiches. This can occur due to factors such as friction, deformation, and sound production.

Why is it important to study the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions?

Understanding the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions can help us design more efficient and durable packaging for sandwiches. It can also provide insights into the physics of collisions and the behavior of materials under impact.

What factors contribute to the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions?

The dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions is influenced by various factors such as the type of bread and filling, the speed and angle of collision, the surface properties of the sandwich, and the environment in which the collision occurs.

How can the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions be minimized?

To minimize the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions, it is important to choose materials that can withstand impact and reduce friction, such as using sturdier bread and fillings with low viscosity. Controlling the speed and angle of collision can also help minimize energy loss.

Are there any real-life applications of studying the dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions?

Yes, the study of dissipation of mechanical energy in sandwich collisions has practical applications in fields such as packaging design, material science, and accident reconstruction. It can also help improve the safety and efficiency of transportation systems, such as in the design of car bumpers.