1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy dissipated in 3-cars collision

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Cars B and C are at rest with their brakes off. Car A plows into B at high speed, pushing B into C. If the collisions are completely inelastic, what fraction of the initial energy is dissipated when car
    C is struck? The cars are identical initially.

2. Relevant equations
    Collisions

3. The attempt at a solution

First collision:

Momentum is conserved and the collision is inelastic so ##mv_1 = 2mv_2##. The energy dissipated after the first collision
    is ## Q_1 = \triangle K = \frac{1}{2} mv_1 ^2 - m v_2^2 = \frac{1}{4}mv_1^2 = \frac{1}{2} K_i ##

Second collision:
    Momentum is conserved and the collision is inelastic so ##2mv_2 = 3mv_3##. The energy dissipated after the second collision is ## Q_2 = \triangle K = m v_2 ^2 - \frac{3}{2}m v_3^2 = \frac{1}{3}mv_2^2 = \frac{1}{12}mv_1^2 = \frac{1}{6} K_i ##

Total energy lost is ## Q = Q_1 + Q_2 = \frac{2}{3} K_i ## so the fraction of initial energy dissipated after C is struck is 2/3.

Is that correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks good. Anything else?

4. Jan 24, 2015 #3
    Thank you ! What do you mean by 'anything else ?' ?

5. Jan 24, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've not done anything wrong but can you see a simpler way? What if there were 10 cars?

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5
    Yes, there is a recursive way to do it:

With momentum conservation and inelasticity: ## mnv_n = m(n+1) v_{n+1} ##

So ## v_n =\frac{v_1}{n} ## and total energy lost for n-car collision is ## Q = K_i - K_n = (1 - \frac{1}{n}) K_i ##

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need only consider energy and momentum at the beginning and end. Even if the cars were different masses.

8. Jan 24, 2015 #7
    I see, it would have been simpler to consider the general case ! Thanks !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted