Dissociation constant from absorbance

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI am not sure where to begin but this is what I thought so far:-A 0.120 M solution of sodium picrate in a 1 M sodium hydroxide solution was observed to have an absorbance of 0.335, due only to the absorption by the picrate anion.-In the same spectrophotometer cell and at the same wavelength as in the previous measurement, a 0.300 M solution of picric acid was found to have an absorbance of 0.581.-Calculate the dissociation constant for picric acid.-Homework Equations-A=abc-Ka= [A][B]/
hc772

Homework Statement

A 0.120 M solution of sodium picrate ina 1 M sodium hydroxide solution was observed to have an absorbance of 0.335, due only to the absorption by the picrate anion. In the same spectrophotometer cell and at the same wavelength as in the previous measurement, a 0.300 M solution of picric acid was found to have an absorbance of 0.581. Calculate the dissociation constant for picric acid

Homework Equations

A=abc

Ka = [A]/[AB]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to begin but this is what I thought so far:

0.335 = 0.120 a a=2.792
0.581 = .300 a a = 1.937

I am not sure how to use the absorption values in the dissociation constant equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert them to concentrations.

Hint: how much undissociated weak acid can be present in the 1M NaOH solution?

I thought I was given the concentrations in the question?

will the [OH]- not matter because [H]+ >> [OH]-?

hc772 said:
I thought I was given the concentrations in the question?

You need equilibrium concentrations, you are given total concentrations.

will the [OH]- not matter because [H]+ >> [OH]-?

You have 1M NaOH and 0.12M weak acid and you think [H+] >> [OH-]? In terms of simple stoichiometry you have around 8 times more NaOH that is needed to completely neutralize the acid.

So to find the equilibrium concentrations I did:

NaA + NaOH ---> A + OH + 2Na
0.012 M 1.0 M 0 0 -
-x -x +x +x -
0.12 - x 1.0 -x x x -

Kc = [A][OH]/[NaH][NaOH] = (0.12 -x)(1.0 -x)/(x)(x)

=(0.12 -0.88x + x2)/x2

Where do I go from here? how do I incorporate the absorbances?

Looks like you have no idea what you are doing :frown:

First experiment is to find the absorbance coefficient of A-. You use very high pH solution to be sure that all acid is in the neutralized form.

Last edited:
the molar absorptivity of the picric acid would be

0.581 = a(0.300 M) a= (0.581/0.300) = 1.937 M

and for the mixture of sodium picrate and NaOH it would be

0.335 = a1(0.120 M) + a2(1 M)

This gives me two unknowns for one equation. can I use the molar absorptivity of the picric acid in the equation for the mixture?

It is not absorptivity of picric acid, but of the picrate anion. NaOH doesn't matter - you may assume its absorptivity coefficient is 0.

So if the absorbance of 0.335 is only due to the picric anion the concentration of the picric anion of the solution is as follows:

0.335 = (1.973)CA CA= 0.173 M

Ka = [A+]/[NaA][NaOH] = [0.173]/[.12][1] = 1.44 M

1. What is dissociation constant from absorbance?

The dissociation constant from absorbance is a measure of the strength of a chemical bond or interaction between two molecules. It is typically used to describe the equilibrium between a compound and its dissociated products, and can be calculated from the absorbance of light by the compound.

2. How is the dissociation constant from absorbance determined?

The dissociation constant from absorbance is determined through a process called spectrophotometry. This involves measuring the absorbance of light at specific wavelengths by a solution containing the compound in question. The absorbance values are then used to calculate the dissociation constant.

3. What does a high dissociation constant from absorbance indicate?

A high dissociation constant from absorbance indicates that the bond between the two molecules is weak, and the compound is more likely to dissociate into its individual components. This could also suggest that the compound is less stable and more reactive.

4. How does temperature affect the dissociation constant from absorbance?

Temperature can have a significant effect on the dissociation constant from absorbance. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, making it easier for the compound to dissociate. This can lead to a higher dissociation constant, indicating a weaker bond between the molecules.

5. What are some applications of dissociation constant from absorbance?

Dissociation constant from absorbance is commonly used in biochemical and pharmaceutical research to study the strength of molecular interactions. It can also be used to determine the purity of a compound and to monitor chemical reactions. Additionally, it is used in environmental studies to measure the stability of compounds in natural systems.