1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Barbituric Acid dissociation constant

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Barbituric acid is a single proton organic acid. Assume it is called "HA". Results show pH 4.22 in a solution of 0.020mol/dm3 of barbituric acid and 0.030mol/dm3 for sodium barbiturate, NaA. Calculate the "acid dissociation constant" for barbituric acid.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do I even start? Through the pH I can calculate number of protons (H3O+) but I don't know where to go from here, since they've added "sodium barbiturate" into the whole equation. Would have been easy (I think) if it was just:

HA + H2O ⇔ A- + H30+

But now there is some sodium barbituric acid, where does the sodium come from? Would appreciate help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can safely assume concentrations of HA and A- to be these given (in other words: once you put the acid and its salt into solution, their concentrations don't change by much due to dissociation; this is obvious if you know how buffers work).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted