Distance a bullet will travel while shot underwater

In summary, the person is trying to find the distance a bullet will travel when shot from an ak47 underwater with 7.62x39mm ammunition. They have used the drag equation to find the drag force and have a value of approximately 850,000 N. They are now stuck on how to calculate the distance the bullet will travel before stopping, as the drag force varies with velocity. They need to derive a differential equation to solve this problem.
Wanna_be_Feynman

Homework Statement

hey

I am trying to work out the problem:
If I shoot an ak47 underwater with 7.62x39mm ammunition, how far will the bullet travel before coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

The equation that I have used to find the drag force is the drag equation:

F =1/2 p*A*C_d*v^2

where:
p is the density of the water (1000 kg/m^3)
v is the velocity of the bullet (730 m/s)
A is the cross sectional area of the bullet with diameter 7.62mm
C_d is the drag coefficient to which I am using 0.29 based from a website which had statistics about the bullet

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found this I get approximately 850, 000 N of force. I am then stuck as to how to calculate the distance the bullet travels before it stops.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wanna_be_Feynman said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found this I get approximately 850, 000 N of force. I am then stuck as to how to calculate the distance the bullet travels before it stops.

Because the drag force varies with velocity, you will get a differential equation in ##v##. The drag force will not be constant. The first step is to derive this differential equation.

Likes billy_joule

What is the maximum distance a bullet can travel when shot underwater?

The maximum distance a bullet can travel when shot underwater is approximately 60 feet. This distance can vary depending on the type of bullet, water temperature, and the depth of the water.

Can a bullet travel as far underwater as it can on land?

No, a bullet's distance underwater is significantly less than its distance on land. This is due to the resistance of the water and the fact that bullets lose energy quickly when traveling through water.

Why does the distance a bullet can travel underwater vary?

The distance a bullet can travel underwater can vary due to factors such as water temperature, bullet type, and depth of the water. Warmer water and higher velocity bullets may result in a longer distance traveled.

What is the effective range of a bullet when shot underwater?

The effective range of a bullet when shot underwater is considered to be around 30 feet. Beyond this distance, the bullet will lose significant energy and may not cause any harm to the target.

Is shooting a gun underwater dangerous for the shooter?

Yes, shooting a gun underwater can be dangerous for the shooter. The force of the water can cause the gun to recoil with more force, potentially causing injury to the shooter. It is also important to note that shooting a gun underwater can damage the gun and should only be done by trained professionals.