Distance and time of an Angry bird

In summary, the problem involves an angry bird of mass 2m being launched at an angle of 45 degrees with an initial velocity of 10 m/s above the horizontal. At the topmost point of its trajectory, the bird drops an egg of mass m = 1 kg with a velocity of 5sqrt(2) m/s. The bird's mass is reduced to m after dropping the egg. The problem asks for the distance the bird now lands and the time it takes to reach the ground. To solve this, we need to consider both horizontal and vertical momentum conservation. The horizontal momentum remains unchanged before and after the egg drop, but the vertical momentum changes due to the egg drop. The question is unclear about whether the egg
SGE

Homework Statement

An angry bird of mass 2m is launched at theta = 45 degrees with initial velocity = 10 m/s above the horizontal. It then drops an egg of mass m= 1 kg vertically down with velocity 5sqrt(2) m/s when it is at the topmost point in its trajectory. (Bird's mass after egg drop is m.) How much further does the bird now land? How much time from launch to land?

Homework Equations

p=mv
{ and I think the horizontal momentum: p=mvcos(theta)}
Change in momentum = net force X change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that horizontal momentum will be conserved so I have solved for the horizontal momentum before reaching the highest point:
p=2m(10cos45)
p=10sqrt(2)
and for the horizontal momentum after
p=m5sqrt(2)cos45
p=5
but I'm not sure how to translate momentum into distance travelled.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not quite clear. Is the dispatch of the egg vertical relative to the ground or relative to the moving bird? From what you wrote in words
SGE said:
I know that horizontal momentum will be conserved so I have solved for the horizontal momentum before reaching the highest point:
it seemed like you were going to take it as the former. That may be what is intended, but it would mean the bird effectively fired the egg backwards relative to itself, which seems unlikely.
However, you then calculated p after dropping the egg as though the horizontal speed had not changed. That is, you have taken vertical as relative to the bird's motion.
Separately from all that, you need to look at vertical momentum conservation.

1. How far can an Angry Bird travel?

The distance an Angry Bird can travel depends on various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. However, on average, an Angry Bird can travel up to 100 meters.

2. How long does it take for an Angry Bird to reach its target?

The time it takes for an Angry Bird to reach its target also depends on the factors mentioned above. Typically, it takes about 2-3 seconds for an Angry Bird to reach its target.

3. Does the distance and time of an Angry Bird change in different levels?

Yes, the distance and time of an Angry Bird can vary in different levels of the game. This is because the obstacles and structures in each level may affect the trajectory of the Angry Bird.

4. Can the distance and time of an Angry Bird be calculated using mathematical equations?

Yes, the distance and time of an Angry Bird can be calculated using the equations of motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and other factors to determine the distance and time of the Angry Bird's flight.

5. How do the distance and time of an Angry Bird affect gameplay?

The distance and time of an Angry Bird play a crucial role in the gameplay. Players must carefully consider these factors when launching an Angry Bird to successfully hit the target and progress to the next level. They also add an element of challenge and strategy to the game.