Finding distance and bearing of town D from town A

  • Thread starter Thread starter lionely
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
lionely
Messages
574
Reaction score
2
1. Three towns A,B and C lie on a straight road running east from A. B is 6km from A and C is 22km from A. Another town D lies to the North of this road and it lies 10km from both B and C. Calculate the distance of D from A and the bearing of D from A.
3.Well, I am terrible at drawing the diagrams here is my attempt.
I'm not sure where to put D, please be patient with me.
 
Attachments
  • 2yv5mjc.png
    2yv5mjc.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about the diagram. It's pretty clear from the description. But the distance between B and C is 16km, right? It's just a trig problem isn't it? Draw some triangles.
 
The thing is, I'm not sure where to put D, for some reason I have a lot of problems doing bearings, it's weird I could do vectors and matrices without much problem...
 
lionely said:
The thing is, I'm not sure where to put D, for some reason I have a lot of problems doing bearings, it's weird I could do vectors and matrices without much problem...

D must be midway between B and C, but some distance above on your diagram (North), yes? I'm not sure what your problem is.
 
The problem is I'm an idiot haha, I'll try it again and get back to you.
 
. -------------------------------------------------- D
------------------------------------- 10km--------l-----10km
l
A------------6km---------------B--------------16km---------------C

draw lines from B to D and from C to D and then a line from D to the line from B to C
now you have two right triangles, complete the square, or law of sines.
the 10km value is the hypotenuese.
 
Last edited:
Mr.Dick, I thank you for your time and help, I solved the question and I will continue to practice this and master bearings!
 
Don't call yourself a idiot just becuase you are stuck. You go to school to learn right? You can't know everything up front!
 
Don't call yourself an idiot, or you'll truly become one;) You need to have confidence in yourself that you can become good and overcome all obstacles.

Humans are prone to make errors and everyone definitely did one.
 
xD Okay I won't call myself an idiot anymore. and Thanks to everyone who helped me.