Distance between atoms based on density

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average volume and distance between adjacent iron atoms. The mass of iron is given and the hint suggests treating each atom as a sphere instead of a cube. However, the problem is stated correctly and using Mathematica can help find the proper cube-root of numbers in scientific notation.
farleyknight

Homework Statement

Iron has a mass of 7.87 g per cubic centimeter of volume, and the mass of an iron atom is 9.27 * 10^-26 kg. If you simplify and treat each atom as a cube, (a) what is the average volume (in cubic meters) required for each iron atom and (b) what is the distance (in meters) between the centers of adjacent atoms?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to come up with (a) on my own, which was:

1.17789 * 10^-29 m

However, for (b), I'm confused as to exactly how it got the answer:

0.282 nm = 0.282 * 10^-9 m

At first I treated each atom as a cube and got some answers that were way off.. I took the hint and it mentioned that you should treat each atom as a sphere (WTF? It says cube in the problem, but whatever), so using the formula for that, I got

V = (4/3)*pi*r^3 = 1.17789 * 10^-29 m

Solving for r^3 I had

r^3 = 0.281200696 * 10^-29

Now solving for r in this case was problematic because depending on where you place the decimal point, you get a wildly different answer for the cubed root of this figure, in your scientific calculator. But the figure looks similar to the actual answer, except that the magnitude was cube-rooted or something..

I'm still pretty stumped... Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

UPDATE: Never mind, I found out that 1) the problem was stated correctly, the hint was a red herring, and 2) I can use Mathematica to find the proper cube-root of numbers in scientific notation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
farleyknight said:
got some answers that were way off
in future, please post what you got and how, or we cannot determine your error.

1. What is the relationship between density and distance between atoms?

The density of a substance is directly related to the distance between its atoms. As the distance between atoms decreases, the density increases. This is because the atoms are packed closer together, leading to a higher mass per unit volume.

2. How does the distance between atoms affect the properties of a substance?

The distance between atoms plays a significant role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a substance. A shorter distance between atoms leads to stronger intermolecular forces, resulting in a higher boiling point, melting point, and hardness.

3. How do scientists measure the distance between atoms based on density?

Scientists use a technique called X-ray crystallography to determine the distance between atoms in a crystal lattice. This involves shining X-rays onto a crystal and analyzing how the rays diffract, which gives information about the spacing and arrangement of atoms.

4. Can the distance between atoms be changed without altering the density of a substance?

No, the distance between atoms is directly related to the density of a substance. Changing the distance between atoms would result in a change in density. However, factors such as temperature and pressure can affect the density of a substance without altering the distance between atoms.

5. How does the distance between atoms in a substance vary among different elements?

The distance between atoms can vary significantly among different elements. This is because the atomic radii of elements differ, and the distance between atoms is determined by the size of their atomic radii. For example, the distance between atoms in a metal like gold would be larger than in a non-metal like carbon due to their different atomic radii.