Calculating magnetic field given dl, current, and radius vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculation using an equation and the resulting cross product of dl and r. The answer obtained seems to be incorrect and the speaker suggests checking the math and using units.
desperatestudent123
Homework Statement
A short current element dl = (0.500 mm)j^ carries a current of 5.70 A in the same direction as dl . Point P is located at r = ( -0.730 m)i^+ (0.390m)k^. Find the magnetic field at P produced by this current element.
Relevant Equations
dB=(u_0/4pi)*((I dl X r)/r^3)
|r|=square root ((-.73^2)+(0.39^2))
I used the above equation, and started with getting the cross product of dl and r, which was equal to 0.00195i+0.00365k. From there, I divided each component by the magnitude of radius cubed (0.827^3). I then multiplied by I and u naught(u_0=4pi*10^-7), and then divided by 4pi. The answer I got (1.96*10^-9)i + (3.67*10^-10)k. I'm not sure why this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @desperatestudent123,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !
The cross product seems to be off by a factor of 10 !
And how you come from 1.95 10-3 ##\hat\imath## + 3.65 10-3 ##\hat\jmath\ \ ## (ratio around 1 to 2) to the final answer (ratio 10 to 2) seems strange, too.

Funny enough, one of the components is correct :wideeyed:

In short: check your math ! And: use units !

##\ ##

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field given dl, current, and radius vector?

To calculate the magnetic field, you can use the formula B = (μ0/4π) * (I * dl x r)/r^3, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the length of the current element, r is the radius vector, and x represents the cross product.

2. What is the unit for magnetic field in this calculation?

The unit for magnetic field in this calculation is Tesla (T).

3. Can this formula be used for any shape of current element?

Yes, this formula can be used for any shape of current element as long as the current is constant along the length of the element.

4. How does the distance from the current element affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the current element. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases.

5. What is the direction of the magnetic field in relation to the current and radius vector?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the current and the radius vector, following the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the radius vector, the magnetic field will point in the direction your palm is facing.